Chapter 3- the power of a simple gift

"A friend? I didn't know you lived with a friend." I don't think Axel knows this either, a man living where I'm staying at? He wouldn't like the idea.
"Yeah, I've known him since my freshman year of college, and we got this place together."
"And he's just a friend?" I can't believe that, a man and a woman living together just as friends? That's kind of odd.
"Yeah, just friends, he's like a brother to me, not my type at all. Oh, there he is." She got off the bed and went to greet the guy, I don't know what I was expecting, but it surely wasn't what my eyes saw. This guy was pure perfection, tall, skin as white and smooth looking as porcelain, muscular, black short hair... my dream platonic type of guy taken out of a k-drama or even better, a k-pop boy band.

I just wonder, why are all the men I meet freaking handsome, like jeez! I'm married already!
"Alex, this is Amelia, my friend, she's staying here for a while." Alex! Oh my, not only he's competing with Axel on who's the most handsome and sexy, but he also has almost the same name as him! Not fair at all.
"Hey there, nice to meet you. I just came home to get a change of clothes, someone decided to stab me in my back, literally. Well, see you, my room is next door by the way, if you ever need something." And he left, and now I had a whole bunch of questions, like who was this guy? I suddenly wanted to know everything about him.
"Did he say someone stabbed him?"
"Yeah, he's something like a police officer or whatever I don't know much about his job." Police? He was wearing all black, but it wasn't a policeman's uniform.
"Oh, but--"
"Enough about him, let's talk about how this is going to work out." I guess I'll have to find out more about him myself, but she's right, I need to situate myself first. There's a lot that needs to be done, they'll know the great mistake they've made, and I'll make sure of it.

---

"Yes I've taken my vitamins-- yes and I've been eating well-- uh, of course, I've been working at home, don't worry about, oh, oh no, I can't hear you, th-eh-ah-kh." I took a candy wrapper and put it on the microphone to make it sound as if I was losing service, then hung up mid-sentence. Axel, called every hour to make sure I was alright, after me fainting once more in the middle of a shower. At this point, it was annoying having to be so cautious about every single thing I do.

It's been two weeks since I got to New York and I had to agree with Carmen so she could let me go to my new office and work as I should, not at home like Axel wants me to. I know he's taking care of me but if I let a pregnancy defeat me, all of those selfish men would be in the right for not trusting a woman to be a CEO. I can't let my image be stained like that.

"Excuse me, ma'am, a police officer wants to have a word with you." I close my laptop to see my secretary standing in front of my desk. Why in the world would the police want to talk with me? Should I be worried?
"Oh, uh, what for?" Damn, I'm acting as if I really committed a crime.
"It's for the guest that got caught selling drugs last night." A chuckle escaped my mouth by accident, could I be more obvious?
"Oh let them in then." She smiled and walked to the door letting the police in, and to my surprise, the police officer was none other than Carmen's friend. The secretary let him in and walked away closing the door behind her. When he realized it was me he smiled walking towards me.
"I haven't introduced myself properly,  I'm Alex Lee, Carmen's friend, but for today I'm Agent Lee from the DEA, I'm  here because..." So he works for the DEA, I've been wanting to know more about him but I've been busy with work. It makes sense, his uniform wasn't from a regular police officer, he was wearing a suit now, all black. I shouldn't be thinking about this man, but his beauty is unique, anyone could be attracted to him immediately. Anyone, but not me! Get yourself together Amelia!
"And that's why elephants can transform into butterflies." I snapped out of my thoughts at the weirdest moment.
"Huh?"
"I had a feeling you weren't listening to me this whole time, I had to confirm it." A wave of embarrassment ran through my body, this is great, now he's going to think I have a thing for him! I was thinking about him, but it's not as if I imagined him naked or something, fuck! Now I'm imagining him naked! No! What the heck is wrong with me?
"I--I, I was listening, you said something about the DEA."
"Yeah, and then I spoke for like three minutes, what did I say?" Three minutes? I don't remember shit.
"You--you, you're right, I wasn't listening, I haven't eaten all day and I'm thinking too much about food, my apologies, you can continue now." I signaled him to take sit on one of the chairs in front of my desk and he did.
"Isn't that bad for the baby? Should we talk about this at the restaurant across the street?" I was tempted, but if I'm having such weird thoughts about him I shouldn't be spending more time with him.
"No, it's fine, I'll eat something later. Just tell me what you're here for."
"Well, we have reasons to believe the guy that has been selling cocaine on your installations is involved in something more complicated and deeper than just selling a few grams of drugs." If this goes out to the public, the hotel would be in a really bad shape.
"I trust that you guys haven't shared this with the media." He chuckled.
"No beautiful, we haven't, but the thing is, we have our suspicions that someone inside the management of the hotel is helping a big and important European mafia get away with some things." I think I peed a little, this can't be happening right now. I mean, it can't be the mafia guys that I know, there's a bunch of European mafias.
"We captured this guy and he gave us a name, now I need your help, do you know or have you heard about someone with the name of Michaello?" Oh fuck, fuck, fuck! What the heck is happening here? Why are they doing their misdeeds on my property? Why did they get caught? It has to be some sort of plan.
"No, I haven't."
"Alright, I also need you to give us access to all security cameras. I have to go but if you see something out of place call me." He got up and left the office. There's no way Michaello is here, why did he come all the way to New York? He can't be here, I left my life behind just to escape from them and now they're here? It has to be a joke.