{3}

𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐍 & 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊

after the wake, the family and guests moved onto the balcony above. loud chatter and the occasional grumble of a dragon flying over head filled the air as they hung around, eating, drinking and catching up with old friends, brought back together on a bitter occasion.

feeling awkward amongst such a large group of unknown people, Eirene hung close by her brothers, a goblet of wine between her finger tips. as she sipped the beverage anxiously, her brothers glared down at their little sister, blaming her for her betrothal to Aegon.

"we have nothing in common." Aegon said in disgust.

"she's our sister." Aemond replied, his hands tucked beneath his green cloak.

"you marry her then." Aegon and Eirene returned in unison, Aegon's tone laced in disgust as Eirene's filled with boredom and distaste. it wasn't uncommon for the twin's to speak in unison, mostly over quippy remarks to crude insults.

"i would; to perform my duty. if only mother had betrothed us." Aemond replied, watching his sister carefully.

"if only." Aegon scoffed, knowing Aemond may or may not have a thing for his little sister which Eirene found positively disgusting.

"you're saying you wouldn't marry Eirene, had mother given you the chance?" Aemond reiterated. Eirene choked on her wine, turning away to heave facing the wall in an attempt to protect her innocent, princess image. "rather than betroth you to Helaena?"

"careful sister, wouldn't want you to choke." Aegon said with a smirk, patting her back.

"you two disgust me." she said, licking her lips with a glare. "you actually disgust me. why on earth would you want to marry me, or Helaena?"

"it would strengthen the family. keep our Valyrian blood pure." Aemond explained.

"she's an idiot."

"we're Targaryen you imbecile." Eirene and Aegon spoke over one another again.

"she's your future queen." Aemond continued.

"okay, you're quite positively making me uncomfortable. i'm leaving now, Aegon, drink yourself silly for all i care. Aemond....do something other than ogle at your baby sister." Eirene dismissed herself with a grimace, walking away with her glass of wine in hand.

after scanning the crowd, she decided to make her way to someone she never thought she would.

"uncle."

Daemon looked up from his cup with furrowed brows, confused at the sight of his niece, especially now grown. "niece, you've grown."

"indeed." Eirene softly smiled up at him before clearing her throat. "i wanted to give you my condolences. Lady Laena, although i only met her once or twice, was a wonderful and kind woman and i will miss her a lot. not as much as i assume you would though, uncle."

"thanks." Daemon nodded, blunt as always. but he appreciated her words.

"and apologies for any trouble my brothers may cause tonight, with your family, my own or Rhaenyra's. they can be insufferable most days, especially Aegon. excuse my language, but he's a cunt."

Daemon snorted a laugh, nodding his head as he took a sip from his glass. "i know a few people like that myself. one of them being your father."

"i myself would say my mother, but each to their own." she nodded back. as Daemon went to speak, a shrill, sad shriek came from above their heads. looking up, they watched as Vhagar flew above them, her huge body casting a shadow over the party.

she remained talking with her uncle for another hour or so as the sun began to set. she found out they had a lot in common, plus they both found joy in making fun of others.

a gentle hand laying itself on her shoulder made Eirene cut off her words and turn to face who joined them. "father." she greeted.

"if i may, darling?" Viserys gestured to his brother who placed his cup onto the wall behind him.

"of course. it was nice talking with you, Daemon. if you'll excuse me." she nodded to both of them before taking her cup and leaving her father and uncle alone. scanning the party, she spotted everyone but Aegon.

feeling the need to ensure her insufferable twins safety, she began to search around the party for him. that was, until she found him sitting on the steps, slurring as he mumbled to himself drunkenly.

"Aegon." she called, stopping at the top of the steps with a small grin on her face. "you okay?"

"i'm great." Aegon grinned up at her, eyes red, face flushed and his lips stained red from the wine in his goblet. "my drinks empty though."

she scoffed a laugh and skipped down the steps to sit beside him. she herself was quite tipsy, but she was nowhere near as gone as he was. "here." she passed her large goblet over, filled almost to the brim with wine. she'd been wandering around, pouring other peoples drinks into her own cup as she did.

laughing as they would go to drink and find their cups empty.

"you're the best." Aegon sighed, taking the cup to drink.

the twins remained on the step, chatting drunkenly as they passed the goblet back and forth until it was entirely empty and both were nearly passed out on the steps. Eirene's head was pounding as she squinted at the sunset, her lips feeling chapped as the breeze brushed through her messy hair.

Aegon was laid back on the wall, legs sprawled out, practically asleep as he groaned from the pain in his head.

hours more passed until her father made his leave, heading off to bed. then Rhaenyra sent away her children and the drunken twins were dragged to their chambers by their grandsire, Otto Hightower. Aegon stumbling with his wrist in Otto's iron clad grasp and Eirene slung over Roman's shoulder, giggling loudly as she swung back and forth.

"you have a nice arse Ser Roman." she complimented as Roman walked down the hallways to her chambers. Otto scoffed from behind them, ignoring Aegon's drunken, slurred laughter at her comment. "that's really not fair."

"that's not very lady like, my princess." Roman hid the laughter in his voice as they turned the corridor, Otto trailing angrily behind them. "you're drunk and you need to go to bed."

"you go to bed." Eirene scoffed, smacking the back of his legs in annoyance. "i've never seen you sleep before."

"and you never will princess." Roman uttered, slowly kicking her chamber door open. inside, there was a young maid, a little older than Eirene who was lighting the candles of her room "prepare the princess for bed please." Roman requested, gently settling Eirene on the mattress. she laughed loudly and fell back, her hair flaying out on the golden bed sheets. "she's very drunk, if she causes any trouble come get me. i'll be outside."

the maid nodded, quickly helping Eirene sit up. the girl blinked rapidly, sucking in a sharp breath as her hazy eyes scanned the maids face. "you're very pretty."

"thank you, my princess." the maid flushed. "come, let me help you dress."

the maid got her dressed into her night gown and helped her under the covers before Roman came into the room concerned. "my princess. forgive me for the disruption but you are needed, it's an emergency."