{8}

𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐍 & 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊

later that evening, the family had been called for a supper together. the dining room was dimly lit with a warm, welcoming light that battled the tension in the air, soft smells of roasted chicken and vegetables lingered around them as the maidens laid plates and bowls across the wooden table.

Eirene was instructed to sit between Helaena and Aemond in hopes that her being there would prevent Aemond from causing a ruckus. but they all knew it would be impossible. she just wanted to drown herself in her cups and forget about the night. maybe she'd dance if she drank enough, but probably not.

she leaned on the table in her black and green dress, chatting away with Jace and Baela before the doors slung open to reveal four guards carrying her father into the room upon a small golden throne.

upon his withered, rotting face was the same golden mask from earlier on in the day. Eirene just hoped, as she stood and watched him move around the table, that the smell of candles and freshly cooked food would cover the lingering smell.

once he was seated, the rest of the family took their places.

"how good it is to see you all here tonight...together." Viserys began, his voice weak and croaky.

"a prayer before we begin?" Alicent suggested. Eirene released a not so subtle groan from her lips which earned a slight grin from all but her parents and Grandfather, who glared sharply across the table at her. she cleared her throat and sat up, nodding.

"sorry."

Alicent cleared her throat. "may the mother smile down upon us with all her love. may the smith mend the bonds that have been broken for far too long. and to Vaemond Velaryon, may the gods give him rest."

Eirene lifted her cup to her lips, sipping from it slowly as her eyes peered across the table, filled to the brim with amusement. it seemed that the one person entirely sharing it with her was Daemon who seemed on the verge of a laughing fit as he stared at his brother.

Viserys was never one to pray, but look at him now.

Eirene lowered her cup as the prayer ended and Viserys spoke up. "this is an occasion for celebration it seems. my grandsons, Jace and Luke will marry their cousins Baela and Rhaena, further strengthening the bond between our two houses. a toast, to the young princes and their betrothed."

Eirene raised her cup a second time to her nephews, any excuse for a drink.

she choked on her drink through when Aegon leaned across and not so subtly muttered, "well done Jace, you'll finally get to lie with a woman." Aegon was frustrating at times but he could be humorous.

"let us toast as well, prince Lucerys, the future lord of the tides."

Eirene grinned and let out a small whoop as she raised her cup to him and took another gulp, the cup already almost finished.

"so you do know how the act is done, i assume?" Aegon continued yet again, leaning across to taunt his nephew. Eirene raised her brows, leaning forwards in her chair as if to ask the same thing. harmless fun was all it was, plus, she may or may not have already been drinking before supper. "at least in principle? where to put your cock and all that?"

"you can play the jester if you wish." Jace hissed back. "but hold your tongue before my betrothed."

"ohh, now me personally." Eirene uttered a little louder, sitting back in her seat as she played the instigator.