Chapter 9

*Shortly After Winter Left the Cafe That Day*

Since Winter left the cafe earlier than usual, Y/N decided that he was just going to leave to go home - since he didn't have anything else planned. However, right as he was about to leave the cafe, he heard one of the friends he worked with call out to him from behind the counter.

Y/Friend: "Hey, Y/N! Where's your Ice Queen today? Aren't you two usually sitting together, chatting around this time?" Y/Friend teased out loud.

Y/N walked over closer to Y/Friend in the cafe.

Y/N: "She was here before, before you started your shift, but she left early today. She was only here no more than ten minutes though, and she was acting a bit strange. She said she was thinking about a question her sister asked her this morning, but she didn't want to talk about it. I'm confused. If something was bothering her, and she didn't want to talk about it, why would she go out of her way to come here, tell me about it, and then leave so shortly after?" Y/N asked.

Y/Friend: "Hm, it's hard to say. Maybe you said something that offended her in the short time that she was here, and she just made up an excuse to get away from you?" Y/Friend replied.

Y/N: "That's what I was afraid of..." Y/N said.

Y/Friend: "Did she seem angry with you?" Y/Friend asked.

Y/N: "Not really. Just distracted. Now that I think about it, she seemed a bit off as soon as I greeted her today. I don't think greeting her would make her angry though. That doesn't make sense. Maybe I said something that upset her yesterday? If that was the case though, then why would she have bothered to come back today? The whole situation seems a bit odd. Maybe, she really was just thinking about something her sister asked her, and I have nothing to do with why she was acting the way she was..." Y/N said, as he wondered.

Y/Friend: "It's always tough when women give mixed signals, but it must especially hard for someone like you who was always terrible at reading people." Y/Friend said.

Y/N: "Hey!! What's that supposed to mean??" Y/N exclaimed.

Y/Friend: "It's true! Remember that one time a customer was obviously flirting with you, and you didn't even realize it? The entire staff could see she was into you! I couldn't stop laughing when she gave you her number, and you thought it was for you to call her to tell her when we were having our next sale on pastries." Y/Friend said.

Y/N: "In my defense, she seemed more interested in our pastries than me. Regardless, forget about that! We still need to figure out what's going on with Winter!" Y/N exclaimed.

Y/Friend: "Oh, right. Well, if you don't think it has anything to do with you, then maybe you're right. Maybe she's just going through something serious right now. Maybe she was thinking deeper about it on her way here, and it was all that was on her mind by the time she got here. It might be a topic that really is just hard for her to talk about it, so she thought it would be best to just leave. If you're worried about her though, why don't you try sending her a text later? You have her number after all." Y/Friend said.

Y/N: "I don't want to come across like I'm pestering her though. If I ask her again what's wrong after she already told me she didn't want to talk about it, she might start to get annoyed." Y/N said.

Y/Friend: "You don't have to ask her what's wrong again. Just ask how she's doing. There's no harm in that. If she wants to talk about what's bothering her, let her come to you. If she doesn't, then just let it be, and accept that it's a topic she doesn't feel comfortable talking with you about." Y/Friend said. 

Y/N: "I suppose I could do that. Yeah. I'll just ask how she doing, and ask if she'll be coming back here again to the cafe tomorrow." Y/N said.

Y/Friend: "I think reaching out to her to ask how she's doing can only make her happy. It's showing her you care, without coming across as annoying that you keep asking her what's wrong." Y/Friend said.

Y/N: "Yeah, you're right. Besides, maybe she was just having an off day today, and I'm thinking much deeper into this than I should be. She may even be back to normal tomorrow. Thanks for the help, Y/Friend!" Y/N said.

Y/Friend: "No problem." Y/Friend replied.