3

eye contact

Arhurʼs pov

"As usual?" The pharmacist asked me.

"No." I mumbled and placed another receipt in front of him. My therapist added me antipsychotics. So, now I'm on eight different medication.

He gave me my meds and I payed for them. I felt crazy, picking up this much pills and yet they still do not work. Literally. The only thing they do is sometimes help me sleep, which is also cool but all I want is not to feel this bad. It's terrible.

I walked out of the pharmacy, blinked once, and gasped at the loud crashing sound.

Two cars just crashed in front of me.

I stood in shock, not knowing what to do. All the other people ran away in stress, but I was frozen.

Then I heard laughter. A very passionate laughter but on the other side it seemed as if it was somehow forced.

"Agh! What a difficult job I have!" A deep voice of a man said, falling from the car door, groaning, since he fell.

He was very tall, now covered in his own blood but his dark purple coat was still visible. His light green hair, showing a bit of blonde and-- his face. It was painted white. A red line was drawn on his mouth continuing to his cheeks and they seemed... Damaged. It looked like scars. Healed scars. Like if he had them since forever.

And I had mixed feelings.

The next moment he looked at me. Our eyes locked like if we've seen each other thousands of times before.  like if our eyes belonged together. His dark brown ones at first sight showed intimidating expression, however, I looked deeper.

And saw desperation.

It was just two seconds of us looking into each others eyes, but those seconds felt like a hour. I didn't even know this man, why did it feel right?

The moment we snapped away, he picked his gun and went to the car he probably crashed.

I didn't know what to do.

Second later I heard a police sirens, and policemen calling "Joker!" over and over again, I disappeared from the place.

Sitting in an abandoned alley, I had to take a lots of deep inhales, though my heart was beating so much. I pulled the paper bag with my meds tight to my chest.

I panicked and I didn't even know if it was from the strange eye contact me and the other clown shared, or if it was from the car accident that happened right in front of my eyes and I didn't do anything about it.

They called him... Joker?

The Joker?

That's what my mother mentioned the other day.. Right? He wasn't a delusion then? But why should I be careful around him? Does he hurt innocent people? No.. He didn't look like that. Well.. Maybe? I don't know!

I wonder how he would look like without the make up. Maybe he was scared to go outside without make up because of his scars?

Maybe he would understand me.. No?

No, haha.

I chuckled and then I started laughing uncontrollably, covering my mouth tightly. It was quiet around me and I felt ashamed to disturb it.

Coming to the end with few more chuckles I rubbed my tears away.

You're having too much hope, Arthur.

It was just a random guy, like you meet everyday. Now back to your depressive life that sucks.

This sucks.