Chapter 37

Kian's POV

I remember hearing Lara's voice but I wasn't sure if it was in my dreams.

I slowly opened my eyes, squinting at the glaring, bright lights in the room.

I went to lift my hand to cover my eyes but felt something jingle at my wrist, holding my hand at my side in place.

I had restrains on both my wrists and ankles which held me to the bed I was laying on.

Oh that's right. I'm still here.

The memories of earlier started coming back to me. I had been brought into this room for further testing. I had almost managed to escape earlier but was then sedated by the Doc.

Fuck

How am I getting out of here?

I noticed one of my fingers, which has been cut off by the scientists when they were running tests on my ability to heal, had grown back and was almost back to normal. They wanted to see if I would grow it back and if so how long the process took. Luckily for me it was growing back and was nearly completely healed. I'd still have to be careful with it.  There was also a faded scar running down my chest. It must be from their tests.

I went to look out the window when I noticed a large crack in the glass right in the middle.

That wasn't there before.

Was that from me when I had tried to escape?

Maybe

I shrugged it off for now.

The sound of the door clicking open caught my attention.

"You're finally awake. Your finger is healing marvellously! I'm impressed." The Doc said fascinated.

"Imagine the things we could do in the name of science... to be able to transfer those healing abilities to humans. Now that would make history!" She said excitedly as she examined a tube with contents inside.

"Humans weren't given these abilities for a reason. It goes against the laws of nature. Our healing powers are not designed to keep us alive for eternity only to heal."

"Yes that's right yours are not but imagine if we could recreate the youthful eternity vampires have. Imagine if we could use the supernatural's healing abilities to cure cancer or other life threatening illnesses. It would prevent our kind from being the weakest and level the battle field." She said.

She held up a small tube to me which I could tell was blood from the scent. "This is the key to evolution." Her glasses reflected the light from above and there was an eager, fascination behind them. Something that unnerved me.

She made her way to the door, "I'll be back to check on your progress."

•