EIGHT

"Serena!" Jessica said, hugging the blonde.

"Jessica! Damn I missed you." Serena said, releasing the girl and taking a seat.

The waitress quickly took their orders and the two fell into conversation.

"I didn't know you were back." Jessica said, sipping on her latte.

"I wasn't planning on it. But after what happened at David and David's wedding and dealing with Steven's questions was a headache enough, I just thought it was best to come back."

Jessica nodded. "Steven come with you?"

Serena frowned. "He did."

"What's wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"Your pretty smile turned upside down. So what is it?"

"I found out he's cheating on me."

"What!" Jessica yelled, a little too loud, catching some attention of the people around them. Jessica smiled at them and turned her attention back to the blonde. "Permission to punch him."

"No one's punching anyone."

"Why not? I can easily take him." Jessica said, puffing her chest to show she's more buff than she looks. 

"J stop. You look funny." Jessica just shook her head. "Did something happen between you and Nate?"

Jessica sighed. "Did he tell you something?"

"Maybe?"

Jessica rolled her eyes. "Of course he did."

"Look J, you know Nate means well."

"I know."

"Maybe you should talk to him."

"And what forgive him?"

"Maybe?"

"S. You know I love you. And I appreciate everything you've done for me, but Nate and I are complicated and it's going to stay complicated until one of us makes up our mind. I already did. It's him who needs to realize who he wants to be with. I'll talk to him when I'm ready."

"And that can be tonight. At my Gala."

"What Gala?"

"I'm the new board member of the Central Park Conservancy and as a new member, I have to plan this annual gala."

"Wow S. On the board committee. You go girl."

She laughs. "No you should definitely come though. Nate will be there."

"I don't know S."

"Please." Serena pouted.

Jessica sighed, definitely going to regret her decision. "Fine. I'll come."

"Yeah." Serena clapped her hands.

"For you. I'm going for you. Not to talk to Nate."

At least, that's what Jessica wanted to think. 

✄-----------------------------

edited: january 6,2022