chapter two

—𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐚 was awoken by a shaking motion

—𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐚 was awoken by a shaking motion. She pulled her 'blanket' closer around her body, only then did she realize exactly what it was. The shaking stopped for a moment, allowing her to bury deeper into the coat, Kazs' coat. When she thinks she is safe from the bastard himself, the shaking starts again. When Kaz receives no response, he moves to lay on the bed next to her.

"Wake up." Kaz grumbles.

"But your coat is so warm." Anya argues back.

Kaz resorts to poking her with his cane, causing her to grab the pillow under head and hit Kaz with it. After she does she puts it back under her head and opens her eyes. She is greeted with what is Kaz's best attempt at evil eyes at her. Her mouth cracks into the smile, causing Kaz to give her a shy grin in return.

"What do you want?" Anya questions Kaz.

"To talk."

"About what?"

"What you don't like about this money deal."

"Well, it seems off." Anya says.

"How?"

"I have this bad feeling that something is going to go wrong and I don't like it. It feels like a thousand spiders crawling throughout my body, trying to get in, and failing."

Anya can see Kaz reach out to comfort her yet reels back. A part of her is saddened when he doesn't, but the other half understands. Anya is surprised when he offers her his glove, free of his hand. She sends him a questioning look.

"You know why." Kaz explains shortly.

"I do and I appreciate it."

Anya starts to fidget with the glove, when she notices Kaz move to lay on his side, facing her. She doesn't question it, yet gets confused when his other gloved hand starts to slowly move over the her bare hand. She doesn't push him, allowing him to make the first move.

"I want to try." Kaz whispers.

The Kaz that whispers this is not The Bastard of the Barrel or Dirtyhands but, Kaz Rietveld. The broken boy who only wants to be loved, granted he has that. He wants to be able to show his love for her by touch. Sure, the small tokens of his adoration for her, are enough the keep Anya close, but he feels as though it isn't enough. He wants to make her his, to hold her, to touch her without even recoiling at the thought.

"Are you sure?" Anya whispers back.

"With you, yes."

Kaz slowly reaches out, brushing his gloved hand against her bare hands. His brain going a thousand miles a minute, but his heart is telling him he can do it. After knowing her for so long, willing himself to trust, to love her, he is sure of this. Kaz sends out a signal blocking out everything his brain is telling him. Focusing on his Anya. The way her breathing sounds, the way she smells. The smell of flowers overriding his senses, he recognizes it in an instant. She is wearing the perfume he got her as a gift.