chapter thirteen

—𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 their little display, the group packs up, checks out, and heads out with Marko and his group

𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 their little display, the group packs up, checks out, and heads out with Marko and his group. Slipping into one of the carriages behind the main one, they start on the plan. Working out any of the kinks, getting everything perfect in an attempt to not get killed. Anya had faith, this was a Kaz plan, his plans always - almost - worked. She was still suspicious about Arken, but trusted Kaz to know what to do about it. Kaz had told the group what their plan was, allowing him to slip out earlier than the rest. Pulling up the checkpoint, they clamber out of their carriage, allowing it to be checked. A guard checks over their papers, making sure everything is in line.

"That one is our invitation to perform, signed by the queen." Marko says. The guard looks at him unimpressed. He folds and hands Marko back the papers.

"This writ allows you access to the grounds, the main ballroom and nowhere else. You are being employed by the queen. You are not her guests." He starts to walk by the group. "You are to stay together as a group, at all times. No guns." Jesper pulls a face. "No knives." This time it's Anya and Inej who are making faces. "No weapons of any kind." The guard turns back around, causing the group to straighten out their faces. "Punishment for violation of these rules ranges from being fired to being fired upon. Now, do we all understand?"

"No." A muffled grunt sounds out. They watch as a man is pulled from under one of the carriages by a guard. He pushes them away and runs towards the group.

"Oh, for Saints' sake."

"The Sun Summoner! I just want to see her!" The man shouts. He continues to run forward, only to be punched in the gut by a stick by one of the guards. Anya watches the scuffle with a grimace. The man groans in pain. Anya notices Kaz in the crowd, knowing his leg is going to hurt.

"All right, that's enough. Do we really need the entire corps for one man? The rest of you, post up now." Kaz walks forward, sending a subtle head nod to Anya. Anya silently breaks off from the rest, following after Kaz, who leads her to a dark corner.

"Here." Kaz hands Anya one of the uniforms. She whispers a thank you and then goes to stand behind him to change. Kaz sends any potential eyes cowering away under his glare. "You good?"

"Yeah."

"Good. Let's go."

The two walk back into the crowds, acting like they belong. Which wasn't hard, seeing as they could blend in as well as a chameleon. Getting into the Little Palace was easy enough, no one questioning their presence or asking them to go someplace else. They were thankful, this allowed them to get their tasks done quicker. Walking through the hallways, acting as if they were patrolling - while the were actually looking for their target - they managed to cover a lot of ground.

Kaz refused to let Anya split up, fearing for her safety. They checked every nook and cranny, looking for something, even the smallest thing. The two walked the same route the Sun Summoner was going to take from the ballroom to the dinner event. Kaz stopped along the corner to rub his leg. Anya looked over at him, placing her hand on his arm.