chapter nine

—𝐀𝐭 the Tavern, the group got 4 separate rooms

𝐀𝐭 the Tavern, the group got 4 separate rooms. Kaz and Anya were sharing one, while the rest got their own rooms. Inej knew better than to ask about the sleeping arrangements, while Jesper voiced his complaints.

"Why does she get to share a room with Kazy Bear?" Anya snaps her head to Jesper.

"Kazy Bear?" Jesper nods. "Saints, that's genius." Kaz sends Jesper a withering look.

"What did I say about the nickname, Jesper?" Jesper gulps, realizing his mistake.

"Oh no. Don't you come near my knee caps. They are too pretty to be removed." Jesper walks backwards slowly. Kaz walks forward with a menacing look on his face. Kaz probably would have taken out Jesper's knee caps if Anya hadn't pushed his chest back. "May the saints bless you Anya." Anya sends Jesper a wink.

"Aw Kazy Bear. There are too many witnesses." Jesper's eyes grow wide, scooting backwards.

"Shut up Anya."

"Aww no can do." Anya presses a kiss to Kaz's lips. Jesper looks between the two shell shocked. Inej stifles a laugh, surprised it took him this long. Anya looks over at Jesper, noticing his shell shocked expression. "What?"

"You- What- He- Huh-?" Jesper stammers. He looks between the two, looking at them like they have six heads. "Since when!" He finally snaps out of his trance.

"Are you just realizing this now?" Kaz questions.

"Yes." Jesper says. "Now answer my question." Jesper places his left hand on his hip, taking the 'mom stance'.

"Um. Years. Right?" Anya turns to Kaz in comfirmation, to which he nods.

"Are you only just noticing this now?" Inej questions.

"Yes."

"You're an idiot." Inej says in reply.

"True. You're lucky you have a pretty face." Anya says. Jesper sticks his tongue out at her and Anya breaks into chuckles. Leaning back into Kaz, he wraps his arm around her shoulder as she pushes her head into his chest to muffle her giggles.

"All right. Royal Archives heist. Here's the game plan. Watchmen are on guard around the clock. We want to get in and get out as quietly as possible. That means the hardware stays in the holster, Jesper."

Jesper pulls a face. "Ugh, fine."

"Inej, the dome on the roof is directly above the repository where the blueprints to the Little Palace are kept."

"Got it. That's my way in." Inej says.

"Anya you're with me. I'll set a trail of phosphorus that will lead you straight to the target. The repository is secured at all times behind a two-part lock mechanism. So, Inej, you have to leave the way you came in. Two hours after sunset is when you'll go in, Jesper. You'll need to blend in."