chapter fifteen

—𝐊𝐚𝐳 had Anya go a different way, knowing the Inferni was going to be going after him

𝐊𝐚𝐳 had Anya go a different way, knowing the Inferni was going to be going after him. He sent her a nod of reassurance."Get out of here." Anya hesitates but leaves anyway. If anyone could handle himself it's Dirtyhands. She makes twists and turns throughout the little palace, her body high on excitement. She knows something bad is going to happen, so she turns around and acts on instinct. Searching the halls, she hears a commotion. Anya sneaks around, trying to get inside without being noticed in case it isn't who she is looking for. She makes it up the balcony only to hear a grunt of pain. Anya races towards the edge, hoping to see what it is. She notices Kaz holding a small column, his foot placed over the Inferni's hand, holding it down. "Unlike a spider, I only need one good leg. However, you..." Kaz slams the column on his hand, making a sick crunching noise. The inferni lets out a scream of agony. "Look like you need both hands."

Kaz twists the column breaking more of his bones, enticing a scream. Kaz whacks the Inferni on the head, knocking him out. He drops his weapon of choice and limps out. Anya notices his limp is more noticeable, wanting nothing more than to comfort him, but she notices the Inferni stirring. She watches as the Inferni steals the fire off of one of the candles.

"Wrong." Kaz turns around with a frightened face. As he goes to throw the fire at Kaz, Anya throws a knife, lodging it in his head. Kaz looks up to see her, watching her slightly frozen in fear. Anya jumps down, her eyes not leaving the body. She walks over, meeting Kaz by the dead body.

"This way!"

Kaz walks over to Anya, grabbing her face. "We need to go."

"I know."

"You saved my life." Anya nods and Kaz places a kiss on her lips. She hums and kisses back for a moment.

"I can't take my knife now. It will be covered in brains." Anya pouts.

"Only you could kill a man and be upset over your knife covered in brains."

"Yes. I expect a gift for saving your arse and a new knife."

"Anything." Kaz presses one last kiss on her lips before walking away, Anya tucked into his side. She was afraid to leave his side, fearing that he would somehow be killed.

"In here!"

Kaz and Anya spot Inej hiding behind a wall. Together the trio attempts to get out of the Little Palace unnoticed. Being spotted now would be the death of them. The Wraith and the Saving Grace walked ahead, using their stealth to their advantage. Anya would walk back everytime the coast was clear, wrapping her arm around Kaz's waist helping him walk. She knew he didn't like the pity, but his pain was unbearable. The trio finally got outside, spotting Jesper leaning on a column. Jesper turns around at the sound of their footsteps.