chapter twenty

—𝐌𝐚𝐥 felt slightly out of place with the group

𝐌𝐚𝐥 felt slightly out of place with the group. They all clicked and knew where they stood, while he was an outsider. Anya and Kaz had taken comfort in each other, Jesper with his guns, and Inej with her religion. They feel the boat stop. Jesper twirls his guns.

"What's he doing?" Inej questions.

"Shh."

"Don't you shush my wife, Kaz Brekker." Kaz sends her a look, one that shows that they will be talking about that.

"One more demonstration." Kirigan's voice echoes through the silent skiff, the group listening intently. He goes slightly muffled, then "Now bear witness to what I can do... with her power."

"Oh, that doesn't sound good." Anya says. The sounds of everyone gasping in shock, leaves the group disturbed.

"What now?" Jesper asks.

"We wait." Anya turns to look at Kaz.

"What?"

"Kaz, you can hear him slaughtering a city." Mal shakes with rage.

"So you understand the scale of his power, then? Good."

"The bold move is to strike now."

"I agree with lover boy over there." Anya points to Mal who raises an eyebrow at her response. "Listen, I know things."

"And the smart one is to get clear of the damned Fold first." Mal nods his head, walking off.

"I never said I was smart." Inej takes off her coat.

"Can you believe him?" Jesper questions.

"I'm going with him." Inej runs off after Mal.

"Sorry, love. Can't let them have all the fun." Anya kisses Kaz, running off before he can grab her and pull her back into his arms. Anya overhears Kirigan talking and rolls her eyes, wishing he would shut up.

"Today, we redraw all the maps. With the power of the Sun Summoner at my command, I control the Fold." Anya watches as Alina struggles on the ground. She wonders if she threw a knife, would it cut through the rope? "And its monsters. I can move it to any border I like. Engulf any harbor. Consume any city. Take what you have seen back to your home countries. Tell the Fjerdans. Tell the Shu Han. There will be no more war with Ravka. All countries will answer to us. For who would oppose us now?"

Mal surges forward, Anya tries to reach out and grab him, but she can't. Mal starts shooting the guards, Alina yells his name out, warning him. She watches as Kirigan nods towards his Heartrender and watches as he twists his hand, slowly crushing Mal's heart. Mal drops to the floor by Alina. Kirigan picks up the gun, tossing it into the Fold. Anya pays attention to the way Alina lights up the area, keeping the darkness at bay. She's thankful for that. Anya moves towards the top deck, going after the Heartrender.