chapter sixteen

—𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐚 splits off from the group, heading off into the thick of the market

𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐚 splits off from the group, heading off into the thick of the market. She scans the crowds, looking for their target. Granted she got lost in the pretty trinkets, she mostly kept her eyes out. Anya pocketed a few of the cute necklaces, one of them was a daisy. She thought it would go well with the yellow daisies she had placed in her hair. Anya headed back to the Tavern, deciding she needed a drink after her little search. Kaz noticed the necklaces adorning her neck and sticking out of her pockets, but didn't say a word, knowing she likes shiny things. Anya shot down her drink like nothing, enjoying the burn that came with it.

Inej snuck into the tavern and sat at the table where Anya was sitting next to Kaz with his arm around her chair. "No horses missing at the stables, so..."

"So?"

"What?"

"Are you going to tell me how the target got away?" Kaz asks Inej.

Inej takes a deep breath, "I let her go."

"Oh Inej." Anya whispers.

"You were hired to do a job."

"Yes, the job was to pick up a fake for an easy million kruge. We found a living Saint who can summon the sun."

"She is not a saint, just powerful." Anya interjects.

Kaz takes out a coin. "A good magician is a good con artist. The trick..." Kaz pulls his hands together and the coin disappears. "Is to make it look real."

"How in the bay?" Anya whispers to herself.

"This is different." Inej says. "You saw her summon with your own eyes."

"The best illusions are the most convincing. That's the game." Kaz leans back on the chair, hands placed on his cane.

"You can hide behind your cynicism, but I believe she's the real thing."

"I don't see you falling to your knees to worship every Heartrender or Squaller we meet."

"I'll get on my knees for you." Anya snarks under her breath. Kaz sends her a look.

"This is different. Her power is a miracle. I won't betray my faith."

"Pious as that may be, we cannot work effectively as a crew if you're making decisions based on religious zeal." Anya raises her eyebrows, staying out of whatever the hell is going on in front of her eyes.

"Is that a threat to return me to Heleen?"

"Either we get the target of Heleen gets the Crow Club and Pekka get's whatever's left."

"Wait. Why would Heleen get the Crow Club?" Kaz looks down, before getting up. "Kaz." Inej doesn't get an answer, so she looks towards Anya.

"Nope." Anya gets up and walks after Kaz, hoping to calm him down. Anya follows him to their room, his brooding getting in the way of her talking to him. "Kaz. She was going to find out at some point." Kaz sends her a look. "Honestly, we should have just stopped. Inej was never going to give up her religion. We all knew that and proceeded to ignore it. I don't get why—" Anya's cut off by Kaz kissing her.