Chapter 17 - Alone

The shelves of rice bags piled on top of each other had Hina riddled with confusion. The multiple brands had various heroes plastered on each one, the logos all golden for uniformity had a black label on which Hina had trouble pronouncing. Seemed like it was written with an accent she wasn't accustomed to.

She sighed looking at the list Bakugo gave her and back at the shelf. Back to the list and back to the shelf. Another sigh passed her lips.

Blue bag of rice was just so descriptive wasn't it. Especially when there were three of them, all different heroes and different names labeling the rice type. Defeated from the exhaustion of the long day, she grabbed the smallest bag and put it in the cart, assuming if she got the wrong one, the alpha wouldn't  get too upset with the less quantity. Hopefully.

As she moved forward to the cashier, paying the groceries with the wad of cash she had left over after her errand at the art store, she recalled the events from last night.

"Hey, Pufferfish." Said Hina, ignoring his disdainful scoff for the name. "Is there anywhere I could get art supplies? I need to get some extra supplies for the oil paint."

He pondered over it for a second before replying. "Yeh, there's a small craft store in the same complex as the grocery store. We can go there on the weekend, Short Stuff." Gruffed he, sipping green tea, ignoring the agitated laugh heaving her lips from the nickname he called her by.

"I can go tomorrow while you're at work." Said she, her fingers fiddling in nervousness, hoping he'd let her have this small step in independence. "I'll even pick up some of the groceries." She added.

He stiffened, his eyes conflicted while glaring the amber liquid. After a few dragging seconds, he glanced at her fingers, the movement halting at his gaze.

Closing his eyes he sighed, "Yeh, fine. You can go 'morrow. I'll keep the stuff you need on the island for you to take."

And then, he gulped the rest of the soothing brew, disappearing into his room.

Hina did find all the things she needed this morning: a roll of cash, a spare key added to an explosion keychain with her gym card in the black metal ring, and a grocery list. She stuffed all of it in her carry-bag she'd bought with Mina on their trip to the mall, silently thanking the pinkette for convincing her to buy the black leather thing.

But something bothered the omega from Bakugo's expression the night before. Both his reluctance and his unnaturally pinched brows. Yes, unnatural. Because compared to the crinkled brows accompanying his regular scowl, the brows he sported last night were less angry and more... worried.

It left the omega both confused and wary of why he'd be so cautious for her midday adventure. And even though he eventually agreed, she felt a sense of responsibility that told her she should've asked why he was disturbed. But such thoughts were flung out the window, because why would he feel the need to confess his troubles even if she asked.

With a deep breath through her nose, she watched the clerk scanning the small pile of veggies and spices she'd picked. After they stuffed the items in three bags, Hina started her way home. She'd already gotten her art supplies and put the tiny bag containing them inside one of the larger grocery ones, carrying them out of the store.

Straight till the maple tree, and then hit a right turn. She recited the directions in her head while walking to the black gates of Midnight Hills.

With the sun still beating down on her royal blue baseball hat, the light burning her exposed skin, a blissful smile curving her lips. She rejoiced at the warm air kissing her cheeks and dancing in her hair, reveling in the cool shadows of the trees she passed, savoring the beautiful greens and blues of the plants and the sky.