twelve

when jacob woke up it was mid-afternoon. he sat up, yawning and rubbing his eyes. once he was fully awake he climbed out of bed and cleaned up ava's room the way she liked it. he sprayed her nice air freshener and went to open the windows and curtains, it was unusually sunny and bright outside so he let in natural light.

as he started to opening the window, he smelt the barbecue going. his stomach growled loudly, it had been a while since his last meal so he was hungry. he slipped on his slides and stretched before making his way outside.

"jake!"

"jakey!"

"hey jake! we missed you." as alpha, jake was quite popular in the reservation. all the little boys wanted to be him and all the little girls swooned around him.

jacob was naturally good with kids anyways. he often baby-sat with ava which was something he enjoyed doing. he had countless of dad jokes and loved having 'tea parties' with the younger ones.

the little kids gathered around him and attacked him, with water guns of course. laughing in surprise, he looked around trying to find ava. she caught his eye, giggling at him when she saw all the kids ambushing him. he mouthed at her for help but she pretended like she didn't understand what he was saying and turned to talk to seth.

it was only then that jacob looked at his love carefully. she had her hair out today, normally it was held up by a hair tie or a butterfly hair pin. jacob always told her that he preferred it when her hair was down.

she had an adorable head-band on. it was dark beige and matched her skirt and her crop top. oh her crop top. it was plaid, a light shade of brown. her cute waist was on display which he loved as it was nice to touch whenever he gave her kisses.

"i think we should let jacob go," leah laughed, he was drenched and it was clear he didn't even realise. "come on, let's see if sam wants to play with us."

"thanks leah."

"no problem." her little posse and mariposa ran off, planning their next attack.

jacob jogged over to his girlfriend. she looked up from her book, a light frown on her face when she realised what he was about to do. he gave her a flashy smile, nodding and she shook her head.

"jacob black. don't you dare." she said stubbornly. she put her book down and stood up, "don't do it."

he laughed at her, "do what? hug my beautiful girlfriend?" he said sweetly.

she started to run away from him but she was no match for jacob. he caught her without even breaking into a full run. he wrapped his arms around the back of her waist and held her tightly. he lifted her off the floor and spun her around, his smile growing every time her laughs grew in volume.

when jacob got dizzy, he put her down carefully and sat down. he looked so happy, his whole face was lit up, "is my outfit messed?" she asked, attempting to look over her own shoulders.

jacob stood behind her, fixing her outfit from the back before smiling, "you look beautiful." he complimented her.

"i'd look better with your jacket on,"

"i'm sure you will." his jacket was already off and within seconds, she was wearing it.

"thank you jacob." she said in a sing songy tune before skipping to the food line. she grabbed a couple of burgers, a lot of fries and drinks, mostly for jacob before walking back to him, "happy lunch."

she sat on the bench beside him, eating with her right hand and reading with her left. jacob ate his food quickly, chatting to seth and his girlfriend who were sitting in front of him.

"paul comes back soon," octavia put down her book and sat closer to jacob, letting embry sit beside her.

"really?" octavia asked embry. the last time she spoke to paul, he seemed really happy and was enjoying life. it was weird that he was coming home.

embry shrugged, stealing some of jacob's fries when he wasn't looking, "he said he missed home and felt homesick. semester is almost over anyways so rachel will be coming home later on."

"can't wait to see him," seth smiled, "i missed him a lot. he definitely is a big part of the pack and the family."

"i know," octavia agreed. her and paul were quite close. they always spoke about their problems of the past and present. paul was a good listener and she gave good advice so they became good friends when in need.

seth, sophie, embry and octavia stayed up in the field. they spoke until around 10pm about rubbish and god knows what. jacob was sitting with them but was busy on his phone, texting the cullen's the whole time. until sophie was on her fifth yawn. she was half asleep on seth's lap so he quietly excused himself, saying goodnight for the both of them.

left on the field was was octavia, embry and jacob, who was still on his phone. this bothered octavia just a little. he had been gone all night just for him to stay on his phone the whole day. she assumed she was reading into it too much so she dropped it and eased into a conversation with embry.

"i'm gonna go," embry yawned. it was now 10.30pm and most of the reservation were in their rooms. he leaned in and gave octavia a tight hug, fist bumped jacob and left to go to bed.

jacob stayed on his phone again. octavia felt too shy to say anything so she squeezed his hand before getting up and going to her room. she dressed into her pyjamas, did her business then lay under the covers in her bed.

she was kinda of scared. jacob had never ignored her like that since the whole bella situation. that was horrible then so to feel those emotions again felt horrible for her.

however, she was determined that she was making it all up. he must've just had an off day. everyone has one of those. it was normal. she should not read into what happened that much. it was nothing. they were fine.

"ava?" jacob whispered. he stood near her bed. she didn't respond, her eyes were closed and her lips were tight shut. jacob reached over and kissed her forehead before disappearing from her side.

she assumed he'd get dressed and get into bed with her. minutes passed by and jacob was still not back. something felt weird so she got up and tip-toed to his bedroom. the bed was empty and done up. she frowned and walked around to different rooms in the house.

it clicked when she looked outside and saw giant footprints in the ground, jacob had left.