Page 54

"What's wrong?" I ask dropping my briefcase to catch them. One in each arm.

"Someone set our house on fire?" I stared at them in shock.

"What? You mean the pack house? When?

"this afternoon. While the crews took lunch and left they came back to it in blazes. Ebony and your dad are there still. Your dad was afraid of the smoke bothering the babies so we came back here. It's gone the entire thing. The fire marshal said that from the way it was burning it had to have some kind of accelerant on it." Fucking hell. We hadn't had any trouble from anyone, but obviously someone was unhappy with us still.

"Where's my keys?" Emmy dug them out from her pocket.

"We want to go with you. If the smoke is bad I'll stay int eh truck but I want to go." Iggy said. I nodded.

"I'll put our bags inside and be right back." Grace said grabbing my briefcase and running toward the house. Still in our work clothes we loaded in and headed for the house. When we pulled up. The blaze was out but I could tell the house was done. It'd have to be torn down and a new house built. So much for being on our territory before winter. It would probably be next fall or winter before we got in a new house. Ebony and dad met us in the drive.

"Do they know what happened?" I asked.

"The fire marshal is looking at it now. Given there was no power it obviously wasn't electrical. It had to be deliberate. He did say from how fast it was burning it had to be some kind of accelerant. I saw that the work crews had moved off to one side. Derek had show up and was talking to them. I headed for him.

"Luke." he nodded at me.

"hey Derek. What have your guys said?"

"They left, no one was here. They came back to see it engulfed and called the fire department. They all go together in groups for lunch. No one was missing. A couple of them did say they saw the same truck a few times go past. They told the cops about it already. Gave a description and everything."

"Thanks. Did you have any equipment inside?"

"just a radios, some tools. Not a lot, insurance will cover it. Unfortunately things like this this have happened before. I'm sorry about your house."

"thanks." I looked at the charred rubble even the glass and metal for the greenhouse was broken and bent. Our house, the house I had pictured raising our triplets in, the house that Iggy and I had bought together. I pulled me mind from the deeply depressing thoughts. I'd feel it later when I had the time.

"i know it's no help but I'll be glad to build you a new one here. Ebony is a smart girl, she and I can get you something nice here."

"Thank you. You'll definitely get my call when we are ready to build." I shook his hand.

"I'm gonna let my guys go home. They can come back and get whatever is not burnt over the weekend."

"Send me a bill for the work you'd done so far. Despite this problem, they were doing really good work from what I was told. They deserve to be paid for it."

"thank you Luke." I headed back for my pack. Carver and Trevor were here now and Ian had show up as well.

"hey, what are you doing here?"

"A couple of the crew are silver lake pack. They called. Anything known yet?"

"No." but I had a really good idea that those three we'd never tracked down had just shown up.

"The three?" he asked, wondering if I'd had the same thought no doubt.

"That's what I thought but I doubt we'll be able to prove anything." Emmy and Iggy were staring at the house their arms wrapped around each other. Ebony was crying in dads arms. The other three just stared. After an hour I sent dad and the rest of the pack home. Emmy and Iggy insisted on staying with me to wait on the fire marshal. Ian stayed for moral support. Finally the fire marshal headed for us. I held out my hand shaking his.