Page 70

It's Monday morning Grace and I are heading to work. Iggy and Emmy had received the things I'd ordered and they had set it all up. I was enjoying having it set up. My only worry recently was Carver. He'd been disappearing after work. I wasn't sure what was going on but I'd felt nothing untoward in the link and was trying to give him space.

"Are you alright Luke?" grace asks me as we drive toward work.

"Oh you know me I'm a worry wort, or that's what Iggy tells me constantly."

"You do tend to worry a lot but, as a pack I think we kind of like it, it makes us feel safe after so many years of people who didn't like us or want us around."

"You wouldn't happen to know what Carvers been up to recently." I see her blush.

"You do. I can tell. Everything alright?"

"Yes, I know and everything is just fine. We just have a close pack and he's wanting privacy for this."

"How do you know?"

"That's kind of complicated. But I promise it's all right." I nodded but I was starting to wonder if they were up to something together. I would think they were having an affair but she wasn't disappearing like he was so she knew but wasn't actually part of it in that way. My new assistant Janice was waiting in my office. She was about my dads age and had two girls just younger than me.

"Janice, how are you today?" I asked.

"Doing just fine Luke. Your meeting with Maggie got moved up to nine, and your lunch with the council was canceled. You have two files sent of new complaints against wolves. And there's a package here for you." she handed me a manila envelope. I opened it. Inside was a hand written letter and a bunch of pictures of my pack.

'Alpha, I give you this warning once, disband your pack or I will start making it smaller.' was all the letter said. Rage boiled inside me my pup was filling me. Someone was threatening my pack. In the stack of pictures were the twins as Carrie and Trevor took them out. He liked to take them to the mall and watch their little noses run a mile a minute with the smells. But the one that had me grabbing them and striding for Paul's office was a picture of my mates. My pregnant mates. Paul was just sitting down at his desk.

"Luke, something wrong?" He asks standing up. I hand him the letter and the pictures.

"This isn't just a threat, this is someone announcing a hit on my pack." I growl out I feel my hands start to shift and pull my pup back. I take several deep breaths to keep calm.

"You are a council member we'll look into this. For now I'm going to assign some guards on your pack. I'd recommend those that don't have jobs not leave your property. When there was no signs after they burned down your house I had hoped that they had given up."

"Me too."

"Uh sir." we turned to see Janice standing there. I hadn't realized she'd followed me. "Your mates are supposed to come to the city today aren't they? They had planned to meet you for dinner after work, date night they said."

"Shit."I grabbed for my phone. This was supposed to be our first date night the three of us. Iggy picked up on the second ring.

"Hey, you just got to work. Miss us already?"

"I do, but I have another reason to call." I took a deep breath and told him about the letter and pictures. "You two were going to come to the city, don't."

"Uh, we already left home," my heart clenched "but we'll turn around and go straight home." I heard him tell Emmy to turn around. "When you get there wake Cecil tell him what's going on. I want all of you in the trailer with Carrie and the babies. Call Dad, Trevor and Carver tell them what's going on. As soon as work is done everyone home. No detours. Enforce that point with Carver."