Page 18

I really wanted him, and my pup wasn't taking no very well. Thankfully the doorbell goes off and we both go to investigate. Penny is hauling in an armful of thick books. Iggy and I each took some of them.

"Hey sweetie how are you feeling?" Penny asks of Iggy hugging him hard.

"I'm fine. My feet are just a hair sore but I'm back to normal."

"So, what happened that has you guys calling bright and early for these things." I look at Iggy.

"What?" he says when we both just stare.

"I'm not going to answer that every time someone new finds out you blush and get mad."

"She doesn't need to know. Trust me," he says looking at her "I'm fine you don't need to worry. It's just a question we need explained."

"The question of why he keeps knotting making you shift?" he blushed bright red.

"Come on Penny." Poor Iggy has me and everyone else laughing at how red he gets so easily. I go sit next to him on the couch. Penny hangs out for a while then heads out since she's got to go to work. We start reading. I've got the basics of Snake biology and am reading the differences in fangs among were's when he sits upright on the couch.

"Hey, I think I found something."

"Yeah? What's it say?"

"Well it's describing a snake version of a heat cycle it's why I was in so much pain earlier today."

"Oh?" I sit up.

"Yeah. Look, snakes are solitary even if we decided to mark someone as mate, we spend most of our time alone only getting together here and there to actually mate and make more little snakes. At times it can trigger a heat. You are constantly horny; the male will actually get pissy if they aren't allowed to mate with the female and the female can actually feel intense pain if separated from her mate during this time."

"That explains your pain. I was downstairs and then leaving you again." he smiled at me.

"Also explains why you've had a pissy look on your face since we came downstairs. You can't control it," he says smiling at me still. "I'm apparently kicking out tons of pheromone that will work on you only as my mate to make you super horny." I was glad that the others had gone up to shower and dress. I could learn this without their teasing remarks.

"How long will it last?"

"Two days. Most snakes don't have a problem with this because they get together for a long weekend lock themselves in a hotel or house. So, if a heat is triggered it's not a problem."

"Does it say what can trigger a heat?"

"Well a heat can come on anytime in theory, but they've noted three top reasons. One, you go longer than six months without being with your mate. Two, intense protection instincts such as protecting your mate from a physical threat."

"Wednesday." The attack on him.

"It also says that if a female..." he clears his throat. "If a female should miscarry it can cause her to, when she's fully recovered, to go into heat." He might not actually be female, but he was the subservient in our relationship. That meant that he'd get pregnant not me. If he'd wanted to top that day in the bathroom our dynamic would be reversed, and I'd be wondering about being pregnant someday instead of him. I put an arm across his back. I'd tried not think about what had been lost. I had instead concentrated on my mate. This was pulling out the pain and waving it in our face.

"Does it say anything about shifting during sex?" he shook his head no. We kept reading. Every one having dressed came down and relaxed while Iggy and I read. By lunch I knew more than I thought I would ever have to know about were snakes. Having one as a mate made it necessary.