[7] hangout

edited: ✔

It was early in the morning. The full-length windows let sunlight pour in, and behind the three doors, six girls were sound asleep, and their rhythmic breathing— with the air-conditioner's whirring— could be faintly heard from the living room.

Or perhaps, five girls.

"ISA, WAKE UP!" Yeeun violently shook Isa's shoulders.

"WHAT HAPPENED? IS THE HOUSE ON FIRE?" Isa screamed, waking Sumin up as well. When her eyes landed on Yeeun's mischievous smile, she threw her Tigger plushie at her. Yeeun dodged the fluffy tiger and slapped Isa's butt.

"Wake up, lazy butt. Aisha and Cheng Xiao's reaching our house soon. She messaged me since you still haven't replied to her text, so she assumed you were sleeping. Now that you are awake, I'm gonna go wake the others." Rubbing her eyes, Isa went down from the bunk bed and reached for her phone. She checked for Aisha's text before throwing her phone onto her bed and walking into the bathroom to wash up. Sumin reached for her phone on the nightstand and lay on her bed, scrolling through Instagram while waiting for Isa. When Isa came out of the bathroom, hair wet and messy, Sumin stood up and got a towel before she stepped into the bathroom. Isa changed into a loose purple shirt with a butterfly print on the back and sweatpants. Sumin wore shorts with a cropped tee, her go-to outfit. When they walked out of the room, they glimpsed at Yeeun waking Sieun up, but her efforts were in vain. The duo went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast which consisted of eggs, bacon and toast.

As soon as they finished cooking and were doing the dishes, Seeun came out of the room and walked towards the two girls who were now putting up the pots and pans. She reached for six glasses that stood on the drying rack and placed them on the dining table. Opening the fridge, she took out some fruit juice and milk and closed the door. She poured three glasses of milk and three glasses of fruit juice and set them down on the table while Isa set the food down on the table. The girls came out of the room and started eating their food while talking about their dreams or the things they came across on social media.

As they finished their breakfast, the doorbell's chime was heard. Sieun immediately walked briskly towards the security system, took a peek at the screen, twisted the level on the digital lock and opened the door, revealing Aisha and Cheng Xiao. The duo hugged Sieun, and she let them in. Isa, Seeun, Yoon and Yeeun sat on the couches and Aisha and Cheng Xiao did so. They turned on the television and played games while Sumin and Sieun cleaned the kitchen. This was what their weekend hangouts were like. Sometimes they would go out to an arcade and have pastries and coffee, but sometimes they would stay home and have snacks while chilling around. Today they decided to hang out at home since Isa, Aisha, Yeeun and Seeun had a student council project to start. After a few rounds of victory and losses, the four stood up from their places and went into Seeun's room. Yeeun grabbed her laptop and opened it.

"Okay, just a little memory refresher, so we decided that..."

"Okay, we're done! I'll send the info to the teacher-in-charge tonight, and they will select the students that will be performing," Yeeun said

"Okay, we're done! I'll send the info to the teacher-in-charge tonight, and they will select the students that will be performing," Yeeun said. "Let's go out and play. I wanna see what the others are doing."

As they emerged from the hallway, they saw the rest of the girls playing The Sims. The television screen displayed that Cheng Xiao's sim was setting the kitchen on fire. Yoon, Sieun, Sumin and Cheng Xiao were rewinding the scene repeatedly, rolling on the floor laughing.

The eight girls continued playing the game, which consisted of vampire-infested places (it was Yoon's doing), drowning and setting the house on fire again. They decided to take a break from the screen and have lunch and drinks.

As they talked to each other, placing the game consoles on the coffee table, Sieun cleared her throat, and the other girls looked at her.

"Cheng Xiao, can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot," Cheng Xiao said, looking at her, curious.

"Are you the asset?"

The sudden change in the atmosphere made Cheng Xiao stiff. Cheng Xiao took a deep breath. "Yes, I am."

"Sorry to bother you with the question...We were figuring out who the asset was because our boss did not mention her name."

"No, it's okay, I'm just a little bit uncomfortable when these things are mentioned. It just reminds me of what I have gone through, as well as my mother," Cheng Xiao said, rubbing her eyes. Aisha placed her hand on the former's shoulder. "It's okay, I can understand. Everyone in their lives would have gone through hard times and it feels like shit. But we're here for you, so whenever you need someone to talk to you, you have us," Sumin said. Cheng Xiao nodded.

"Okay, let's cheer up with a game of Sims, shall we?" Yeeun hovered the pointer above the "play" button and clicked on her console.

The sky was shell pink and gold, and the setting sun that outlined the buildings was a shade of dull orange. The eight girls hugged each other and bid goodbyes as Aisha and Cheng Xiao walked out of the door to the lift lobby. The duo's faces were glowing as the sunlight reflected upon their faces. Isa gently closed the door, walked to the kitchen and got some ingredients for their dinner. She looked out of the windows to see a neighbouring apartment complex where Cheng Xiao, and the six's senior agent, Irene, were staying together. She watched Aisha and Cheng Xiao, who looked like ants from the 34th floor, walking towards the apartment complex and smiled.

"Isa ah, is the food going to be ready?" Yeeun asked.

"Yep, I'm cooking," Isa said, dicing potatoes.