Chapter 15

I looked up, hearing the gates open. 

A two men were standing there. 

I heard a clang behind us, and Daryl whipped around and fired his crossbow.

He walked over and grabbed whatever it was and held it up. 

A possum. 

A freaking possum. 

Daryl directed his attention to the people who opened the gate. "We brought dinner," He said.

I chuckled, before my eyes flicked around the gate. Aaron walked up. 

"They're okay," Aaron said, holding up his hands.

He nodded and I slipped inside, looking around.

Everything was clean.

It was like the apocolypse never happened. At all.

There were kids playing, massive houses, and even people walking dogs.

This isn't right. 

I looked around at the rest of the group.

Daryl still didn't look sure, but Carl, on the other hand, looked extremely excited.

Someone wheeled up a cart. 

"Weapons please," A lady said, standing beside a younger man.

I shifted from foot to foot, not budging.

Everyone reluctantly (except me and Daryl) put their weapons on the cart. 

"My name is Deanna, and I would like to talk to each of you. Alone, please." The lady said. 

"I'll show you to your houses." Aaron said, leading the rest of us towards the houses.

"Deanna might split you guys up. I can't tell her what to do." Aaron said, gesturing to two houses.

"Take your pick." I looked around, waiting for someone to move. 

Rick walked towards the white house while Michonne walked to the blueish-green house. 

I walked inside, looking around. 

Seemed clean enough.

One by one, people went to talk to Deanna. 

"We're all staying in the same house until we all agree it's safe here," Rick said, and we all settled down on the floor. 

A blonde girl walked in, and I turned my head to the side. "My name is Jesse. I used to be a hairdresser.... so if anyone wants a haircut I'll do it." She said.

Rick walked off with her.

Deanna walked in. "I'll be giving you certain jobs, and they might be different."

***

Everyone got assigned to a different job, except for a few people.

Carol got to cook for the people who couldn't anymore, Glenn, Noah, Tara and I were the ones who went on runs.

Aiden, and Ryan, (I don't know if it was Aiden or something else), were 'instructing us.' 

We walked into the woods, and I had my knife in hand. 

"A buddy of ours got bitten on the last run." Ryan said. I noticed a piece of meat hanging from a tree.

"Dammit! He got away!" Aidan barked. 

"HEY!" Ryan yelled. "Shut up!" Glenn snapped, looking around. 

Aidan angrily took us back to Alexandria. 

Aidan angrily turned to Glenn.

"You obey my orders out there!" Aidan's jaw tensed.

"Oh, then we're just as screwed as your last run crew." Glenn retorted.

"Say that again." Aidan took a threatening step forwards.

"Back off, Aidan." Tara added. 

"C'mon man, just take a step back," Noah said.

I snorted, waiting to see how this would go down. 

"Come on, tough guy." Aidan pushed Glenn.

"Walk away man, no one's impressed." Glenn sighed, obviously not amused but Aidan's little 'tough guy' act.

Aidan turned to Deanna. "Why'd you let these people in?" He seemed like a kid begging for candy.

"Because we actually know what we're doing out there." Glenn responded for Deanna.

Aidan whipped around and swung his fist, but Glenn ducked down and punched Aidan in his stomach. 

Ryan went to help Aidan, but Daryl lunged towards him, taking him to the ground while Rick desperately tried to calm him down.

Aidan was knocked on his ass, and he leaped to his feet to fight, but Michonne was there.

She sized up to him. "You wanna end up on your ass again?" She growled. 

Aidan backed off, and walked away with a heavy sigh.

Deanna turned to Glenn and Michonne. 

"Thank you for doing that." She said.

"What?" Glenn slightly turned his head to the side. "For knocking him on his ass. He needed someone to put him in his place." Deanna turned to Rick and Michonne.

"Would you like to be the sheriffs of the town?" She asked. Rick nodded, a look flickering in his eyes.

Michonne looked around awkwardly, and then nodded.

***

We returned to the house and everyone fell asleep.

I shifted uncomfortably on the floor, sitting up with a soft sigh.

I walked outside, staring at the stars with Daryl and Carol.

Rick walked out, all dressed up in his little 'sheriffs outfit'.

"What if we can't make this work?" I asked, turning around to look at him.

"We'll make it work." Rick responded. 

I rolled my eyes, "Let me rephrase that. What if the people of Alexandria can't make this work?"

Rick shrugged nonchalantly, "Then we'll just take this place."