Chapter 29

Okay. This is the last chapter of this book. I started writing ages ago, and fell out of it. Thank every one of you for reading my book and sticking with me for so long. 

-emma

Carl lifted his shirt. 

A bite was evident, the outline of the teeth being red, and the wound was bruising as well. "Carl." I said, my voice broke.

It felt like my heart was breaking. I had no idea. Rick and Michonne stared. "When did this happen?" I said. 

"Just a few hours ago, when I was in the sewers." Carl said, dropping his shirt. My throat tightened, tears burned the edges of my eyes. 

This was it. This was my nightmare becoming true.

"No." I said, my hands trembling. "No." 

Carl looked at me and I saw his eyes. The blue stood out more than anything else, and I fell into him, wrapping my arms around him.

I barely felt his arms around me, and I could feel my heartbeat in my ears.

"It's okay." He said. Rick and Michonne joined in on the hug, and I felt warm for the first time in ages. 

I pulled away when they did, and I cupped his face in my hands.

"I'm so sorry."

***

Rick and Michonne wrapped their arms around Carl and helped him to his feet. Alexandria was destroyed, Negan had bombed it.

The buildings were burning. They helped Carl out of the one we were in, and walked down the street.

Alexandria was completely quiet, everyone had fled. The streets were empty.

I had my knife out, watching for any walkers. 

We kept walking, and eventually arrived at the house that wasn't destroyed. I walked inside first, knocking on the door and waiting.

There was no shuffling or growling sounds. "It's good." I said. Rick and Michonne helped Carl inside.

"Here." They sat him down as gently as they could. He was breathing heavily.

I sat down next to him, running my hands through my hair and taking in a shaky breath. "I have to be having a nightmare," I said.

"We'll give you some privacy." Rick said, walking into another room with Michonne.

I looked at Rick gratefully.

"Emma, I need you to promise me something," Carl said. I looked at him. "You need to keep going, please, keep going. For me." He said.

I just stared at him, "I don't think I can." I said.

"Emma, I need you to." Carl grabbed my face. His hands were cold. I leaned forward and pressed my lips to his. "I love you." I said when I pulled away, "I never said that enough." 

"You didn't have to say it. I knew." Carl said, "I love you too." A smile tugged at his lips, and I smiled back.

"I'm sorry I ever hurt you." I said, "I wish we could go back in time. I wish the world never ended. I wish we could've met before it did." I said.

"We still met, either way. It was supposed to happen." Carl breathed. He was getting weaker. "Rick! Michonne!" I shouted.

They both walked back in. Carl spoke to them while I sat next to him, my ears ringing. I saw him pull out his gun, Rick's gun.

"I'm gonna do this so I won't turn." 

Rick sobbed, so did Michonne. So did I.

They talked for a while longer, before Rick and Michonne headed outside. 

He was barely alive, and in that moment, I felt like I wasn't breathing. 

"Emma, promise me." Carl said. I could barely hear his heartbeat. "I promise." He nodded. "I love you." 

"I love you too, Carl. Always." I smiled at him, tears running down my cheeks.

I kissed him.

One last time.

I stood up, walked towards the door, and turning back towards him.

Carl's eyes were barely open. "Goodbye, Carl." I walked out the door.

Rick was sitting on the edge of the porch, Michonne was standing. 

I walked down the steps, heading down the road slowly.

The shot fired. I stopped in my tracks.

I bit down on my lip and the metallic tang of blood spread over my tongue. Tears welled, but I held them back. Images flashed through my mind, memories. When we kissed, when we laughed. Mainly him. His laugh, his smile.

His eyes.

I took in a breath.

I kept walking.