Fourty First

Hello! How are you guys? I hope you're all well!

---

I stared up at the looming building in front of us.

The prospect of us going out on an official date, our first one hit me like a truck once we got out of the car to his intended destination. I wasn't just expecting him to bring me here.

I looked at Keith Andrew, who was looking up at the building as well before looking up at me.

"You look scared."
"I know it's our first date and all... But are you really that serious to really bring me to a church agada gad?" I whispered.

I didn't expect all this.We had stopped sa harapan ng simbahan sa may plaza, with both of us standing infront of the looming structure, it's door wide open with a solemn quiet atmosphere. Narinig ko ang mahinang tawa niya.

"So is that a reason to be scared?" Tanong niya. "Matagal ko nang sinabi sayong seryoso ako."
"But it's a church."
"Yes, I'm aware." Narinig ko ang mahinang tawa niya. "You don't like churches?"
"Baka masunog ka."

That brought about another chuckle from him. Ipinulupot niya ang isang kamay sa bewang ko at inakay ako papunta sa loob.

"Patawa ka. Tara na. Magdadasal lang ako saglit."

There were a few people na nandun. Some seated in the pews, some nakaluhod, taimtim na nagdadasal. Keith pulled me on one of those sa gitna saka siya lumuhod. I did the same, observing him habang nagdadasal siya. Nakayuko siya, eyes closed habang nakaclasp ang dalawang kamay na nakapatong sa harapan niya.

I wasn't the religious type of person. I spent Sundays sa bahay, doing homework, reading or anything else that I can do to pass time. I've been to churches though, sa mga times na sumasama ako kay Yaya to go and minsan na may occasion, but not regularly.

Napatingin ako sa may altar, and then sa katabi ko.

He looked serene—not the brooding silence that was always associated with him. It was just peaceful. I turn to the front and close my eyes as well.

God, are you listening?

Somehow it felt funny, praying. You can say I haven't done my fair share of talking with the man above. I was conscious of Keith Andrew's presence beside me.

Why do we pray though?

I felt Keith Andrew move and I open my eyes, glancing at him, seeing him smile a little habang nasa posisyon parin niya kanina. I took a silent deep breath and closed my eyes again, clasping my hands a little tighter.

Lord, I know I haven't tried talking to you like this...

It hits me what I want to talk about.

I want to thank you for this man sa tabi ko. It never crossed my mind, but I know somehow, it was your doing kung bakit nandito siya sa tabi ko.

Our relationship was fairly new, Keith Andrew and I. It was also my first relationship, but it was a breath of fresh air. A week with him, and it was easily the happiest I've been as far as I can remember.

He's a blessing that I don't think I deserve, but thank you, nonetheless.

It was cliché, and I felt myself smile.

I wish this happiness lasts, Lord. But I know that this stage, we're just too happy to be together and may magiging problema kami along the way. Please let us be strong. Let me be strong.

I slowly opened my eyes as I ended my prayer with a small whisper of 'amen'. Napangiti ako sa sarili ko, feeling refreshed before turning my head to look at Andrew, only to find him seated on the pew already—watching me with a smile in his lips.