Fifty Second

Hello Hello! 

---

"So that guy wasn't it too, huh?"

It was like watching a movie. I could remember everything clearly.

Seeing the memory like this was weird but this was a particular scenario that I knew was the start of everything I knew was of me and Jacob.

Jacob standing in his suit, a hand on his hip in all his glory while he stood over another person who was standing by the side while the party progresses along around him. The girl looks back with a soft and uncomfortable smile in her lip, prepared to shoo away kung sino man ang nagsalita, but relaxing at the sight of Jacob.

"Pang apat mo na atang tinanggihan yan this month, Courtney."

It was weird seeing myself full and dressed, the same dress that I had worn that night. The form-fitting dark green floorlength strappy mermaid dress showed off my porcelain skin, hair pinned up into an elegant bun, a few strands escaping and framing my face.

I could remember everything clearly, but I wasn't expecting to actually see it in another point of view.

I saw 'Courtney' smile, putting down the drink she had in hand (a raspberry peach lemonade as I recall) before turning to face Jacob who raises an eyebrow at the direction that the girl was in. A chuckle escapes from Jacob.

"What? You're keeping count?" Itinanong nito kay Jake. "Hindi naman ako aware na nagtatally ka pala. May competition ba tayo?"

Natawa si Jake. "Napansin ko lang."

"And I think you're the one who's winning though. You turned down Mr. Castillo's daughter kanina lang, so that's the fifth one this week?"

Natawa si Jacob sa sinabi sa kanya, sitting down the barstool.

I looked around and remembered where we were. It was the other side of the pavilion where the Alcantara family usually held their foundation parties. Dito ko ginustong mamalagi kahit nasa labas since we were the only ones here and I had just found solace from the exhausting affair.

I didn't even know that Jacob was watching that time kaya naman sinundan niya ako. I had just turned down the Manuel's grandson who was a year older than I was. Nagpapaalam siyang manligaw but I said I wasn't available and that he was sweet to ask. I was just in the 8th Grade for Pete's sake.

And then there was the fact that I was in love already.

Ibinalik ko ang tingin sa dalawang taong nasa harapan ko, watching the scene unfold once more.

I saw myself look at Jacob, a shy smile in my face. It was subtle but there was a twinkle in my eyes, a slight giveaway of the feelings I have been harbouring to the guy standing in front of my doppelganger.

"Ayaw mo ba talaga sa kanila? Gwapo naman ang mga nanliligaw sayo ah."

I saw myself raise an eyebrow back. "Ayaw mo rin ba sa mga nag coconfess sayo? Magaganda naman sila ah?" 'Courtney shoots back.

Isang malutong na tawa ang nagmula kay Jacob. "Kaya kita bestfriend eh. Ikaw lang talaga ang nakakasagot sa akin ng mga ganyan."

Jacob and I had been friends first, meeting each other at eight years old. Since then, we bonded over our mutual interest of dancing, and the same boredom for the events and parties that our families seem to enjoy holding over.

I smiled sadly as I watched that small twinkle in 'Courtney's' eyes fade into something else.

Pain.