Eleventh

Everything went smooth for me that day, and Jacob kept the option of not going to school for the next 2 days.

If he's in Manila, then that's not really a big surprise.

I wonder though, kung anong nangyayari sa kanya and on his "Mission", and I don't know if I really wanted to know. I was just so nervous about it.

Napangiti ako habang nagflash ang mga camera sa paligid. Ibinaon ni Dad and dulo ng pala sa may lupa and he smiles. IT's the land's official groundbreaking, and of course being Saturday—I was there.

There were a lot of people, press and city dwellers here.

It's a big news for the province. A new orphanage in the city, and I'm definitely happy about it. Apparently so are the citizens, or else they're just here for the laughs.

I know I'm smiling while I see my father, the Governor happily talk to his people, posing for pictures for different newspapers. I spot a few news crews that were covering the event for national television. He smiles, and then answers a few questions readily.

"Aren't you supposed to be there, standing beside your Dad?"

Napalingon ako only to see Andrei na nasandal sa may beam na kinauupuan ko. I give him a small smile.

"Hello, Andrei." I say.
"Hindi ba idea mo naman ang magpatayo ng isang orphanage?" He asks me. "Why aren't you standing there beside him?"

I was actually asked by Dad kanina, to pose beside him and I declined. Ate Cathy used to do that sa mga projects nila: stand beside Dad, proud of her part sa mga ginagawa nila ni Dad for the province. But I wasn't Ate Cathy.

I will never be.

I shrugged. "He's the governor. That's his place." I tell Andrei. "I don't want publicity."
"Why?" Andrei says. "Baka madiscover ka pa as artista."
Umiling ako. "Ayoko nga. True diamonds are always hidden from the public eye."

He smiles and then looks at my Dad who's being interviewed by a national news crew. He looks out the crowd of people and then he spots me, then he turns to the news crew to say something, causing them to look at my direction for a bit. I gave them a small wave before turning to Andrei, a bit embarrassed.

He chuckles. "At least you weren't rude." He tells me.
I blushed. "That was awkward." I whispered.
"Tara nga."

He takes me by the wrist and then we start walking. Tinanguan ko lag ang isa sa mga bodyguard ni Daddy na nakabantay sa akin, telling him I was alright with Andrei and he stays put.

Hindi naman kami lumayo, but I was thankful kasi mula sa kinaroroonan namin, hindi kami nakakita ng press.

I have a bad feeling about those guys.

Binitiwan ako ni Andrei and he leans on a tree trunk. Naupo ako sa isang malaking baton a naroon, careful dahil nakasuot ako ng yellow na sundress, a light teal cardigan and flats. I could've worn heels, but the ground around wasn't really even.

Nakatingin lang sa akin si Andrei, as if weighing how he's gonna start talking.

"I'm sorry, Andrei."

That causes him to be surprised. I give him a small smile, though.

"I meant about our dinner last time."
"Bakit ikaw ang nagsosorry?" Tanong niya sa akin. "It was my wrongdoing. Hindi ko dapat yun sinabi. You were right, that was too judgemental on Jacob's part."

Medyo natameme ako. Wel, he's admitting his fault, what should I say to that?

"Actually, ako may mali din." Sabi ko, looking down at the grass. "I shouldn't have left like that. I judged you rin, and it was super insensitive of me to just leave because of what you said. I'm sorry."