Thirteenth

There was regular parties and then there were Alcantara parties.

If there was a word that would describe the party, then I wouldn't know what that is. Because I don't think that the word "wow" would begin to describe it.Champagne flutes and cocktails. People in long flowy dresses and elegant tuxedos. Caviar and fancy crab rolls . The hall was filled with soft light and then beautifully arranged tables.

Nina certainly has the flair for classy events.

Halatang hindi inalintana ang gastos. Four years I've been attending these things, and I could say, kahit kailan hindi pumapalya ang mga Alcantara.

I stood at one corner while the party progresses. I see Daddy talking to someone, and Mommy laughing with one of her friends. Conrad was somewhere out there, I don't know where, but for sure kasama niya yung mga kaibigan niyang nandito.

A waiter passed, and I was offered a drink. Sprite in clear glasses, along with three mint leaves floating on the top. I smiled and took it as a polite gesture. Ibinaba ko din to sa may table, not in the mood for drinks.

With the past parties, I was usually alone save for the times when Jake, Nico, Keith and Greg wander about. Their families were also invited so it was a given that they were present. Sila nila Nico, or si Greg. Nina usually accompanied me, or I'll talk to one of the Alcantara girls, either Ate Kate or Ate Nic.

Everyone seemed busy though. Nina was the organizer, and then Ate Kate and another Alcantara girl, Ate Sheree were the hosts of the night. Ate Nicole was with her friends. Hindi ko makita around sila Nico or si Jake and Greg was talking to a guy, Mr. Tan, if I remember it correctly.

Sometimes, it was a perk to know names of people around the business sector. Si Jake was heavily known, not just for his last name, pero bata palang, nakakakitaan na siya ng potential ng mga tao.

I've heard people talk about him the past few years. And I'd say he's rather exposed to the whole business thing.

Nadaan sakin si Kuya Gab, isa sa mga Alcantara, as he passed by, he smiles at me. I wave to him in acknowledgement saka naman tumayo at nagpunta muna sa may powder room para mag retouch. I wasn't that conscious sa pag aayos ng mukha ko, but I needed to know that I at least looked presentable. Pangalan din nila Mommy at Daddy ang nakasalalay dito.

Pumasok ako sa CR only to find

it almost empty. The door closes behind me and the soft music from the outside mutes to almost nothing. I sighed as I stare at myself in the soft light ng mirror.

I was wearing a cream knee length dress, flowy and made of chiffon. It was strapless with a sweetheart neckline. Beige four inch pumps, made me taller than the usual, and my hair in a neat updo, exposing my neck and my shoulders. Sapphire earrings and a matching necklace were my accessories for the night, and a bit of make up.

Sanay naman ako with everything, being the governor's daughter and all.

May pumasok sa loob ng CR, filling the whole room with a bit of the music and then none again once na maisara nito ang pinto. I look at her and she seemed to have been surprised.

"Jesus." Sabi nito, sabay hawak sa dibdib niya at tumawa ng mahina. "I'm so sorry, I guess I got startled."

She's pretty, and so tall with three inch heels. About my age I guess. She looked mature, but her face held something that told me she was no older than seventeen.

She was wearing a blue knee length dress. Darker on the bottom while light blue at the top. Her hair was wavy, as in perfect combination of both straight and and curly. A headband keeping it in place. She doesn't have any other accessories though, and almost no make-up.