Chapter 4

I could feel my head spinning as I tried to distract myself. I looked over to Dwayne coming over from the shallow end to the deep end where I was swimming around with the two other girls, "You alright, missy?" I didn't answer, "Y/N?" "Yeah?" "You ok? you kind of wondered off" ''Oh yeah i'm fine I was thinking about something" I replied with a slight smile, "Ok. Well y'all want to play a game with us?" "Yeah, I'll come'' I replied as my smile widened.

Dwayne seemed to be good at keeping me distracted even if he didnt know, no one seemed to talk about hockey either which confused me my brothers would only talk about sports no matter what they were doing. My family was all school, sports, food and sleep which I actually liked always being busy, I didn't have many friends so it was always just me, my brothers and sports.

We had been there for a few hours so we all decided we would all get ready to leave. Connie, Julie and I all went to the women's locker room as the boys went to the men's. I walked over to my locker and pushed my key that I had tied to my ankle in the slot and turned it. I pulled my stuff out and went to the same curtained change room from a few hours before.

After everyone was done changing, the kids who joined went home as the rest of us waited for our bus to show up. I again laid in the grass staring at the clouds that started to slightly cover the sky. One of the boys laid down beside me saying "You like clouds?" "Yeah I guess?" I replied with a shrug. "Yeah." he replied with a pause "Im Russ" "Y/N, but I think you already knew that" I replied with a chuckle, "Yeah, but you cant hear things too many times" He replied, "The bus" I spring up and reached out my hand to help him up, he took my hand and said "Thanks" "Anytime" I replied with a smile.

I was the first one on the bus and I took a window seat, again plopping my bag at my feet. Dwayne walked up and said "May I sit?" "Why not cowboy!" I said with a smile, I could tell he wanted to ask me about earlier but decided against it to not come off as rude. I didn't want to talk about it so we just talked about what movie we would watch that night, and what was for dinner.

The bus came to a stop, we all got off and started walking to the dorms. It was still a few hours until dinner so I went to my dorm room to listen to my game that I had recorded from a few nights before. I listened as I unpacked a few more of my things as I got to my red shirt, I paused and held it in my hand. I looked down at it, I then opened my drawer and placed it at the back.

I left the dorm and headed to the cafeteria. I walked in and sat in between Dwayne and a kid who I had seen around but I hadn't talked to yet. He shyly looked over to me and said "Hi i'm Kenny" "Hello." I said with a smile. The dinner lady told everyone to form into the line. As everyone formed into a line, I leaned against the wall and put my walkman in and waited for my turn. 

Once I finally got my food I sat down in the same spot, between Dwayne and Kenny, then I placed my walkman around my neck as I turned the music off and smiled at Julie who was sitting across from me. After everyone finished eating we all went back to the room I flopped into the always empty spot that I seemed to claim every time, everyone seemed to go to the same spot every time they had made a list of who got to pick the movie that night, tonight was Julie. Julie went to her room and brought out a cassette I read the cover recognizing it but not acknowledging it, Stand By Me. Everyone got snacks and stuff and when everyone was seated she started the movie.

After only a few minutes I started to recognize it more and more. Then it clicked, it was the movie my brothers would make me watch on halloween. I continued to watch the movie hoping it wouldn't happen. It got to the part where they all are in the pound and I tried to hide behind my blanket but I think I just looked more crazy but its fine, They got out of the pound and I saw the first leach and then that's all that was on the screen I got up and ran away like a crazy person to the kitchen as I heard them pause the movie no one moved, "Um you good?!" Russ yelled so I could hear him, "Yeah, just terrified of leeches, no biggie." I replied still sitting in the kitchen hiding. "You want us to tell you when it's done?"I hear someone say "Yeah that would be great, thank you."

After the scene I came back and we finished the movie after that I loved that movie. We watched it every year and it terrifies me but it was still a good movie, everyone went to bed and I wrapped myself in my quilt like a burrito and placed my earbuds in but the hours went by and I couldn't sleep, I couldn't turn my brain off it just couldn't stop thinking about the whole sports situation and how i had no idea what was going on, I decided to get some water. I walked into the kitchen and poured some water into a glass.

I heard a voice and looked over to see Luis, "Can't sleep either?" He said as he walked over "Nope" I said with a tired smile. "Excuse me" he said as I moved back and he grabbed a glass from the cabinet. "Night" I said as I walked back to my room "Night" He replied in a kind of disappointed tone, as I walked away I replayed the tone in my head as I started to think about what that tone meant, but by the time I took a few steps I dropped it and was standing in front of my door I slowly turned the handle walking in as quietly as I could closing the door behind me and again placing my walkman on. I wrapped my blanket around me and slowly drifted off to sleep.