THIS PLAN IS FAR FROM FOOL PROOF

AMPLIFICATION

____________c h a p t e r  t w e n t y

____________
c h a p t e r t w e n t y

"What I'm about to show you isn't supposed to exist," A newly saved Deaton walks towards Scott and Stiles with Polaroids in his hand.

He lays out the pictures, each one more disturbing than the next.

"This is the only surviving evidence of Valack's time as Chief Medical Officer of Eichen House. To call it human experimentation would be charitable."

Scott picks one up of a woman screaming her head off, and Deaton glances over.

"A banshee. She died screaming."

"So he drilled holes into their heads? All of them?"

"That was the experimentation part. He did it to werewolves, Banshees, wendigos, any creature he could get his hands on. But never a siren. Too rare, I guess. Anyway, Valack found that trepanation would initially heighten their powers, but to levels that couldn't be contained."

"So he wants to make them more powerful?"

"Yeah, except they're gonna end up like them."

"Worse actually. Both Lydia and Carson's abilities were pretty exceptional to begin with. Putting a hole in either of their heads will be like causing a leak in a nuclear reactor. Especially in Lydia's case."

"What do you mean?"

"She'll hear everything. Every death, every dying scream, all at once."

"That's gonna kill her."

"Not only that. Her own dying scream could be so powerful that it might kill everyone around her as well."

"Including Carson?"

"She'll already be dead. Have you ever heard the myth that humans only use ten percent of their brains?"

"Yeah, I thought it was false."

"The ten percent specifically is. But we don't use the entirety of our brain power at once. A few neurons fire and we feel pain or remember to grab some milk on the way home. Carson automatically uses more, with her heightened senses of deceit or lust, and when she does simple things such as move a puddle or make it drizzle, she goes to her maximum power. She normally can't go much further unless she slowly works on it."

"I'm not understanding."

"The result won't be like Lydia's. At least I don't think, this has never been done before. I believe that when her powers heighten, every neuron in her brain will fire at once."

"And what would that cause?"

"She'll have a seizure, and her powers will go on overdrive, completely out of control."