FOR NOW

APOTHEOSIS

____________c h a p t e r  t w e n t y - f i v e

____________
c h a p t e r t w e n t y - f i v e

"You're lucky this isn't too bad. I still think you should see Melissa tomorrow just in case," Carson places a bandage over his skin, her touch lingering even after she moves away to put her things back.

"Thanks. I'll see you around," he walks out the front door, and she nods.

"Yeah, are you gonna get home okay? It's pouring."

"Yeah, I'll be alright, it's a quick drive."

"Night," she waves, closing it behind him.

She heads upstairs, calling Lydia as she changes into her pajamas.

"Hello? Why are you calling me? You and Stiles are supposed to be making out right now," she asks.

"Nothing. It's my fault, I don't know what I expected. We broke up, it's not like he's gonna be outside my door begging me to take him back."

"I'm pretty sure he asked you to patch him up for a reason."

"I have medical experience."

"So does the hospital."

"It really means nothing. We're friends. We can be friends, we've done it before."

"That was before you guys were madly in love with each other. I think it's gonna be harder to be just friends now."

"It's probably better this way. You can't get your heart broken by a friend."

"Yeah, and what's gonna happen when he moves on? You're gonna just act like you're fine?"

"Oh whatever-" she rolls her eyes, interrupted by the doorbell ringing over and over again.

"I'm gonna call you back, someone is trying to destroy our doorbell," she walks toward the door.

"Alright, don't get murdered."

"I'll try."

"Um, whatever you're selling-" she starts, but quickly stops when she sees Stiles on her porch, covered in rain. "Did you forget something?"

"I'm sorry."

"Stiles, I already said it was okay. I didn't mind, it took two seconds," she closes the door behind her.

"No, I mean I'm sorry for before. I should've told you, and I did everything but that, so I'm sorry."

"You don't have to tell me. It wasn't fair for me to push you, and I'm really sorry," she shakes her head, sitting on the patio bench.

"No, no, I do. So uh, here it is. He was chasing me through the library, and I climbed the structure in the middle. He was trying to pull me down, so I grabbed this- this pin. A bunch of these poles fell, and one went right through him."