LEFT IN THE COLD

REQUIRED READING

_______________c h a p t e r  n i n e

_______________
c h a p t e r n i n e

Almost a week after the Eichen incident, Carson meets up with Malia and Isaac at the police station.

"Wait, so there were how many holes in the lacrosse field?" Carson sips her coffee, handing Isaac one.

"Eight," he leans his head against the wall.

"And Liam said that the holes are where the chimeras.... emerge?" she tilts her head, struggling to find a new word.

"Yep," Malia nods.

Stiles finally walks in, and opens his dad's door in a rush.

"Okay, so explain to me exactly what's going on," the Sheriff sighs.

"Tracy and Lucas weren't just regular supernatural creatures," Malia says.

"They were Chimeras," Carson adds.

"Like hybrids, but... weirder," Isaac explains.

"Chimeras," Noah repeats almost incredulously.

"Two dead Chimeras," Stiles corrects him, as they all fidget around.

"And eight new ones," Malia says.

"10 altogether."

"I'm thinking maybe 11," the sheriff places a picture of Donovan on the board.

"Hey, isn't that the kid that went all psycho and threatened you?" Carson asks, as Isaac and Malia notice the change in Stiles' chemosignals. He went from his normal levels of anxiety to something much worse. His heart was practically racing too. They give each other a look, before the Sheriff responds.

"Yes."

"You think he's a Chimera too?"

"Our station tech guys confirmed something for me. They said both the holding cell lock and cameras could have malfunctioned because of something electromagnetic. You said that, uh, these guys..." he holds up the book.

"Dread Doctors."

"Are we really calling them that?"

"I wish we weren't," Carson groans.

"I'm not calling them that, no," Isaac shakes his head in refusal.

"Okay, so they broke Donovan out?" Malia asks.

"It's how they got into Eichen, isn't it?"

"Alright, Donovan's a Chimera, which is probably a bad thing for you, seeing as they tend to kill a lot of people..." Isaac comments, earning several looks of disappointment. "Sorry."

"But..." the Sheriff looks at him. "Is he a failure like Lucas and Tracy?"

"If he is, he's probably dead," Malia prepares to draw an X, before Noah stops her.