Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Fenrir had no problem following Mara around town to her destinations. Most of their day was spent going to the various places Mara needed to go to pay her bills. Many times Fenrir tried to take out his wallet to take care of things for her, but she refused. She stated they were her bills to pay and he had nothing to do with them. The only thing that kept him calm during her refusal was the knowledge that very soon, she would be completely provided for.

Soon our mate won't be paying for a damn thing. We will take care of her!

Fenrir agreed with Ragnar wholeheartedly.

It was well into the afternoon when Mara finally finished her errands. Fenrir was more than happy to suggest something more fun for them to enjoy together.

"Would you like to go to the movies? Or perhaps we could get dinner first."

Fenrir's stomach growled just as he finished speaking. Mara couldn't hold back a laugh.

"Yeah, there's a small place near the theatre. They make some pretty good burgers."

He loved the sound of her laughter. He hoped to make her smile and laugh for the rest of her life once he marked her and brought her to the pack house.

Fenrir was ecstatic when Mara held his hand the entire way to the small diner. As they entered, he ignored the stares of the humans around him. He was always greatly annoyed at how nosy humans were. Men stared in awe of how large he was and women stared with lust and admiration. It made him sick. Mara was the only human he would allow to look at him in such a way.

They entered the small diner and both stood by the hostess stand. While waiting to be seated, Mara gasped. He quickly looked down at his mate when the smell of fear filled the air.

"What's wrong, little mate?"

Mara said nothing and began shaking. He followed her gaze to the corner of the room and his anger boiled inside of him.

Sitting at a table in the far corner was Jason. He was sitting with a young blonde woman who seemed to be chatting away while Jason had a bored look on his face.

Mara quickly turned and tugged on his sleeve.

"Let's just go somewhere else. Or we can just get some snacks at the theatre."

"Why? You have nothing to fear, little mate. I won't let him touch you."

Fenrir looked back in his direction to see Jason had now noticed them. Jason glared at Fenrir and he was more than happy to return the look. Mara tugged on his arm again.

"Please, I'm not comfortable staying here. Let's just get some food at the theatre."

Fenrir wanted to refuse. He wanted to watch Jason as he sat with his mate, jealous that he had the woman the bastard wanted. But the comfort of his mate took priority. With a final glare in the boy's direction, he took Mara's hand and they exited the diner.

As soon as they exited the building, he heard Mara let out a breath. Her fear was finally gone.

"Thank you. Let's just try and catch a movie. The theatre has good popcorn, if that's alright with you."

Mara was clearly trying to ease the tension in the air. Fenrir thought it was adorable.

"Sounds good, little mate. Lead the way."

He was surprised and happy when she smiled at him. Fenrir wanted to see a smile grace her lips everyday for the rest of her life. Hand in hand, they continued down the road. After a short walk, they reached the small theatre and Mara led him inside.