Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Mara sat in the back of the SUV as Adam drove and Jax sat up front. She was shivering and hoping Fenrir was alright.

"Luna, Alpha is going to be just fine," Adam called back to her, sensing her fear.

"Seriously, our King is the strongest of all of us," Jax said. "It would take an army to bring him down!"

Their words were slightly comforting, but they didn't completely take her fears away.

"Why are they going after the rouges? This is human territory and they haven't done anything wrong."

Adam and Jax gave each other a quick look.

"Luna, rogues can still be dangerous in human territories. Fen won't just kill them on sight. He gives them the chance to explain themselves as to why they are rogues and why they are in certain territories," Adam explained. "But these weren't regular rogues. Something was off about them."

"What was off?" She asked, thoroughly confused.

"No clue. We won't know until we find them. It's something about their smell. We can't tell if they're Weres or Lycans, which is a huge red flag. They need to be found so we can figure out what the hell happened to them."

Mara was silent and looked out the window. Lidia and Zach had taught her the danger of rouges. She would never forget the rogue that tried to kill Lidia when she was a child. But the two at the mall hadn't done anything wrong. At least, nothing she could see.

They reached the hotel and Adam swiftly took her to Fenrir's room. It was lucky he had a spare key. He and Jax brought her new clothing inside and left the bags next to the bed.

"Go ahead and relax. I promise you, Fen will be just fine."

Mara just nodded and both Lycans left the room. She wasn't sure how she was expected to relax until Fenrir returned. All she could do was sit in front of the television and hope he would be back soon.

---

Fenrir was tired and aggravated. The rogues had disappeared. They searched inside the mall as well as all over the city. They found nothing. Even their scent had disappeared. His next course of action was to go to the Blue Moon pack and speak to Alpha Torin. The Blue Moon pack was well known as a strong and ruthless pack. But they were not bloodthirsty. They would do what they had to do to protect their own.

After several hours, Fenrir returned to his room, ready to spend some time with Mara and relax. As soon as he opened the door, Mara immediately rushed to him from wherever she was sitting.

"Hey baby girl," He said with a smile.

"Are you alright? Did you catch them?"

He shook his head. "No. But we will find them eventually. Tomorrow morning, I'm making a trip to see Alpha Torin. He needs to know that rogues are close to his territory."

Mara sighed. "Fenrir, I need to go back to work tomorrow."

He growled. "You think I want you alone while rogues are running around? I don't think so."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "I have a life. I can't keep calling out like this. I need to work and make money to pay my bills. Not to mention I have to pay for the damages to my apartment."

"So quit."

She raised a brow. "And how am I to pay my bills?"

"You're my mate. I can easily provide for you. I can take care of everything with no problems."

She shook her head. "I can't let you do that. I'm an adult. I can take care of myself."

He chuckled and walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her. "I know you can. It's one of the things I love about you. I have a strong and brave mate."

Fenrir gently raised her face up with his hand under her chin.

"But you cannot defend yourself from rogues. They saw you with me. It's not safe to leave you alone."

Mara lowered her head with tears in her eyes. He was silent for several moments before he gave out a defeated sigh.

"If you let me and my men check in on you, I will drop the subject and support you going back."

Her head snapped up, looking surprised. "You mean it? You won't try and stop me?"

Fenrir lightly laughed. "No offence baby girl, but If i really wanted to, I wouldn't have to try. I am so tempted to tie you to that bed and fuck you so hard you won't be able to walk tomorrow." Mara's face turned bright red, but he continued speaking. "But I know your job means a lot to you. Just let me and my men check in on you, and I won't do anything to stop you."

Mara was quiet for several moments before she raised herself onto her toes and gave him a hard kiss. Before Fenrir could respond, she broke away and wrapped her arms around him.

"Thank you," He heard her say as she leaned into his chest.

Ragnar was practically purring in satisfaction, knowing his mate was happy. Neither of them wanted her to be away from them tomorrow but with himself and his men checking in on her, she should be safe.

Before she could pull away from him, Fenrir wrapped his arms around her and kept her pressed tightly up against him.

"You think you can just kiss me and walk away?" He whispered in her ear, making her shiver.

Mara tried to step back again, but his arms wouldn't let her move.

"I-I was-" She stuttered, still trying to back away.

He chuckled and nipped her ear, making her jump slightly.

"Baby girl, you're going to learn you can't kiss and run from me."