Chapter 8: She's like Romanoff

Dark had become suspicious of Stark when hd told her someone wanted to talk to her in the barn. Approaching the old structure, Dark had her blade ready if anything went wrong.

But when she entered the barn, she expected to drop it after seeing Fury standing in the corner.

She stood where she was, observing as he came out of the darkness. He stopped in front of her, not changing his expression at all.

"Did you get my message?" She asked.

"It's nice to see you too," Fury joked, staring at the cut on her cheek yet didn't bring it up.

Dark bit her lip. "They lied again."

"I can see that. But it's nice to see you alive," he said.

"I'm not supposed to be here."

"Well, you are."

"According to Stark, I'm not even sophisticated enough to be useful on this team."

"And that's because he doesn't know you and what your capabilities are, Dark," Fury told her.

"Then what am I capable of?" She paused. "I feel numb and useless when they lie to me. The future, what I see, every time, it could be a lie." Dark sighed. "I don't think I can handle them anymore, the visions," she said to him, looking him dead in the eye. "Their messing with my mind, damaging it even. They're going to consume me-"

"Then don't let them. Hold onto them a bit longer, okay?" He asked her and with hesitation, she nodded. "Until we have a plan and are certain it's going to work, using your capability, then you can do what's right."

***

The sun was setting, turning the sky a beautiful orange and pink color. Dark and Fury walked side by side to the house.

Fury had told Dark to go and dig into her mind while he and the others met in the living room and kitchen of the house. Dark knowing herself knew digging into her own mind would take a few hours. Finding clues, hidden messages, looking at other people's futures. She had to note everything that was going to happen before their next mission.

Dark walked past Stark and Rogers as they continued to chop wood before they went inside after Fury called them in for a meeting.

Dark took a seat out a distance away from the house, beginning to dive into her mind. Fury said he kept everyone away while she was doing her work. If anyone interrupts, she'll have to start over again and they don't have that kind of time.

Tapping her temple as she took a deep breath, she was ready to enter her brain.

The sun had gone behind the hills and the dark night came in as the Avengers started their discussion.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing," Fury explained as he dried a wet glass cup.

Steve leaned his shoulder against the wall as he asked, "What about Ultron himself?"

Fury answered, "Oh, he's easy to track. He's everywhere. The guy is multiplying faster than a catholic rabbit."

"That still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans, though," Steve stated.

"Is he still going after launch codes?" Tony asked as he was throwing darts.

Fury nodded. "Yes, he is. But he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare," Tony bragged.