𝟐.

Sharply rotating her head, Karter scrunched her eyebrows, trying to figure out where the deafening ringing was coming from

Sharply rotating her head, Karter scrunched her eyebrows, trying to figure out where the deafening ringing was coming from. Unable to find the cause, she decided to wait it out and hope the sound went away.

As she hoped, the sound faded, eventually going away. She felt as if she finally found peace until
the loud ringing was heard again. Fluttering her eyes open, she sighed deeply. She began to move her arm around the large bed until her hand bumped into a vibrating object. Pulling it closer to her, Karter came to the realization of it being her phone; someone was calling her.

Not bothering to look at the caller ID, she quickly tapped the vibrant green circle, allowing the phones to connect.

Sniffling, Karter brought the phone to her ear, ultimately waiting for the person on the other side to speak. After so long, nothing was said and Karter found herself falling back asleep.

"You not gon' speak?" The sound of the deep, raspy, baritone voice of her ex caused her eyes to pop open in shock.

"Huh?" Was all she could muster up to say.

With a deep huff, the man said, "you answered the phone and didn't say anything."

Karter cleared her throat and replied, "oh, w-well you called me." She stuttered due to still being slightly out of it from waking up less than a minute ago.

"Just come open the door." With that, he hung up the phone, leaving Karter to sigh and close her eyes, hoping he'd just walk away.

She sat there, eyes shut, taking deep breaths until two loud thuds sounded. "Just leavee," she whispered to herself before yanking her white, silk comforter off her body. She stood off the bed and began to drag her feet against the soft, wool carpet in her room.

When close enough, she reached out and pulled her cracked, grey door open, revealing her pristine living room. Karter made her way to the door and began to unlock all three of the security locks before pulling the heavy door open to reveal the man.

Rhys, her ex, lifted his head from his phone and stepped into the apartment, not bothering to check if he was welcomed. He assumed he was. "It's almost 9:00 AM. Why are you still asleep?" He questioned.

Karter looked at the tall, dark skinned man and rolled her eyes. "What time do you suppose I should wake up?" She asked sarcastically. Karter was now fully conscious and pissed off.

"7:00 AM baby, early bird gets the worm." Plopping down on the plush couch, Rhys looked at Karter, taking in her fresh appearance. She had on an oversized band tee that looked about three sizes too big for her slim frame, her hair was in a protective bonnet and she had on ankle cut black socks. He couldn't help but to lick his lips. Karter looked good to just be woken up.

The black, washed out NIRVANA tee cut off a little after her thighs, making her long Java colored legs show. "I told you to stop calling me that shit. Why are you here?" She asked, shifting her weight onto one leg.