𝟏𝟎.

❦

Karter huffed as she came back to her full lanky height. Her hand gravitated to her hip as she stared at the wall before her eyes. She was at Sole Stage— LA trying to find a pair of shoes to gift Rhys with for Valentine's Day but it seemed like this store wasn't working in her favor.

The store was filled with tall walls of shoes and still she couldn't get a pair she liked—or she thought he would like, that he didn't have. Problems of shopping for a sneakerhead. Rhys had a liking for shoes and always bought a lot of them. Karter knew this but she didn't know the gravity of it until she went shopping for him. It was like a bell dinging in her head every time she tried.

It'd gotten so frustrating that when they were together she'd have to specifically ask him if he had a shoe before she bought it. She hated that it couldn't be a surprise but didn't want to have and return them.

Now it was different though. They weren't together, and it was a Valentine's Day gift; it had to be a surprise.

Ughh.  She turned around seeing the other wall of shoes and Arijah in some man's face smiling.

She softly shook her head before heading to that wall. She made sure to keep her distance from her friend because she didn't want to seem like she was being nosy. Even if she wanted to, loud music played in the background preventing her from hearing their conversation.

Finally seeing a shoe she liked and that she didn't think he had, she picked it up and inspected it. It was nice. Karter flipped the plastic film wrapped shoe over and read the price tag. 3,789.00. "Shittin' me." She said to herself as she put the shoe back. She had a feeling the shoes would be a lot but not that much.

Kmart shook her head and moved over a little bit, she felt her body clash into something causing her to abruptly look up. "I'm sorry," she said immediately when she ran into someone. She realized it was a man; had on a black hoodie with the hood tied tight, slightly startling her.  Oh-

"It's coo,"

She briefly nodded before going back to look at the shoes.

She took her time carefully looking over the shoes for a few minutes before she was lightly interrupted. "Hey! Need some help!?"

Spinning on her heels, Karter turned and noticed a man walking over to her.  She could tell he was clearly an employee; his black tee read Sole Stage in a funky font.

"Yea.."

The man nodded, stopping beside her. "Whatchu' looking for?"

Karter bit her lip before shrugging her shoulders. "I don't know."

They both chuckled. "Okay well how about this. Who are you shopping for? You? Significant other?" Karter looked at the man and raised her eyebrows. "I mean it is Valentine's Day tomorrow." He defended.