𝟏𝟑.

❦

Karter sat at a local breakfast joint named The Crispy Egg peering out the window as she waited for her food to arrive. The Crispy Egg was a well known breakfast restaurant all around the Los Angeles area, with their various locations and amazing food. They specialized in omelettes but made many other great dishes such as eggs benedict, breakfast bakes, pastries, and Karters personal favorite, their French toast—the Java and pecan selection specifically.

Karter first found out about the restaurant when it was just a small hole in the wall. Her 10th grade Pre-cal teacher told her class that her father had opened the business and she'd greatly appreciate it if her students went and tried it out. Of course she went there with her only friend, Rhys, at the time and was glad she did.

She no longer knew who owned the restaurant but she was just glad it existed.

After her only 8AM course Karter was up and full of energy. Her mind was juggling a lot so she decided to head out and enjoy some alone time.

From having her brother angrily reach out to her to almost failing an important exam Karter felt as if her life was slipping out of her hands again. Every month it seemed to happen, but over time it only got worse.

"I'm so sorry about the wait, would you like another Apple juice while you wait?"

Her eyes slowly floated over to the peppy waitress who held her hand out towards Karters practically empty glass. "Instead of apple juice could I have an orange juice this time—please?" She asked with hope, not wanting the sugary liquid anymore.

"O-oh of course! I'll be right back with that." The waitress gladly grabbed the glass cup and headed off to change the drink into a fresh pressed orange juice.

Karter knew she preferred orange juice so she didn't even know why she decided to get the Apple juice. In the meantime while waiting she grabbed her phone and began to look at it. She noticed a call from her mom and frowned before clicking the notification and calling her back.

Within seconds Kady answered the phone with a scowl on her face. "So when I call you, you can't answer? Not even for your mother!?" Her voice came through the phone with her strong Jamaican accent and patwah.

"Mommy, I didn't see. I'm calling back now."

"Mm—mmhm." Kady only hummed continuing to rough chop some type of vegetable. "If you want some soup you'll bring me some coconut milk..right?"

Karter bit down on her lip while looking into the cracked screen. She could see to the wooden cabinets behind her mom which made a feel of nostalgia run over her. "I'm at breakfast right now but after I can.."

Kady didn't say anything before she finally sighed. "Okay..three cans. K-K you know mummy loves you right? I want you to come by the house more."

"I come over..sometimes but I'm busy mommy, I'm grown now."