Chapter 3: waking up in a room full of criminals

"What are we going to do?"

"Is she dead?"

"What was that Bane!"

"Johnathon, what are you doing?"

Johnathan Crane, or Scarecrow, was examining Lily as she lay on the ground. She was unconsious and had tears streaming down her face.

"She's alive guys." He said, crouching down next to her. There were a few sighs of relief but whether it was from not losing a friend or a ticket to free meals was unknown. Johnathan noticed that her pulse was irregular and started checking her vital organs for signs of trauma. When feeling the back of her skull he felt a small metal square lying in the base of her skull, just above her neck.

"What happened." Bane said, sounding more himself than he felt. He relived his own torturous past at her words and felt guilty for bringing it up himself.

"There's a microchip embedded in her skull. Presumably from the project, it must have released some sort of hormone in her brain when she said too much. Bane... maybe you should give her space when she wakes up."

The huge man nodded in agreement and walked to the back of the room, silently praying that he wasn't going to be the cause of the young girl's death. He had never felt that he could be understood, but Lily was kind to him and could relate to his aweful past. He felt that he needed to protect her and he prayed that she would just wake up. But what was he talking about? He was Bane and he wasn't going to change for some child.

"I need to- need to find... FATHER!!!! No please noooo. I can't... can't kill- NNOO!"

I woke up with a jolt. Where was I? Why is Scarecrow in my face?

"Um, hi. Can i help you?"

"It's about time you woke up, Eddie was getting anxious about his new poker opponent."

I laughed and took Scarecrow's out streched hand, hauling myself up.

"What happened?" i asked, honestly not remembering what happened after we played truth or dare.

"Well you kinda yelled at Bane and told him about your past, then fell unconsious and cried. Are you okay?"

I nodded and looked around the room. Everyone was crowded around us and looking at me with concern, that annoyed me but i shook it off. Bane was at the back by himself, his fists clenched and his eyes focused on me. I didn't break eye contact with him until i was infront of him. I only closed my eyes when he was wrapped in my small arms, my head on his uniformed chest. For what seemed like forever, he didn't do anything but then he melted under my embrace at hugged me back, stroking my hair.

More tears slipped from my eyes until i reminded myself why i was here, moving away from him and pretending not to notice the few lone tear stains on his torso. Searching in my pockets I grabbed what i wanted and pulled it out. It was a marble, one of the rare blue ones that change tone like my eyes, seemingly with my mood. I opened his hand and placed the small object in it.

"They took me when I was two years old, I was playing with this that day. I had found it on the ground and i didn't let go until they gave me clothes with pockets. It was the only thing that kept me sane, so here. I want you to have it, there's more than a thousand uses for a marble. You just need to figure them out." I was smiling at it now, my eyes still watering.

"Sorry, i don't know why i am crying so much today. I'll see you guys tomorrow- oh and Riddler, be prepared for defeat."

With that I walked out of the cafeteria and to my room, not once seeing another person. I hadn't been able to sleep right my whole life but as soon as my head touched that pillow i was in dreamland.