Chapter 6: Gamblers, lies and heartache

I had barely had a conversation with Bruce since I won my awesome jacket, work has kept us busy. The streets of Gotham had gone quiet, never a good sign. Bruce would take the usual night shift while I did most of the day work. I would spend my mornings listening to the recording devices that I had hid all over town, in the afternoons I would read up on police reports, my criminology and psychiology books and hack into thug's computers. Finally I would end my day at the casino, gambling for my profit and information on the streets, hey a girl's gotta get information from someplace right?

I was in a back room of the casino, a place that smelled like blood and gunpowder. I had won a poker game with a man named Laurant and since he owed me money, I asked for information in payment.

"Look, after this, I didn't say nuthin'."

I ignored his comment, "What's the biggest news on the streets?"

"Uuuuh, the big four. They planning something huge, they wanna kill the Bat once and for all and they have the perfect plan. Gotham is going down, me and my boys are leaving soon."

"Wait, who are the big four?"

"Well the Joker, Riddler, Ivy and that Bane guy."

"Oh." Was all I could say, why did Bane have to get involved?

"Anything else?" I continued

"Yea the big four, they're looking for somebody but I don't know who." I do i thought.

"Ok if that's all.."

"Wait, there's more. It's not a big thing on the streets but it's not supposed to be."

"What is it?"

"Well we're not really supposed to talk about it either, but you could've just killed me in this place so i'll tell you. There's this thing yea? About them coming back to watch Gotham crumble, they always wanted it. Peoples also say that they wanna do it themselves right? They got their own weapon apparently so there's no chance for this place no more."

"Who's coming back?"

"Ra's As Ghul."

*************************

Great, just freaking fantastic! First my friends want to destroy the city and now Ra's is also coming, why doesn't something explode right now?!? I emailed Bruce the details in code so he could think of something, i'm way to angry to think straight. Those people were turning me into a flipping soldier, and i was NINE!

I took the bandages off my leg and touched it, ok good. It was still red but it felt more like sunburn than roasting flesh.

"Miss Strangelique, master Wayne requires your presence in th Batcave." Alfreds soothing voice came over my Bat-communicator, just another reason to help him. I walked out of my alley in normal clothes, making sure nobody had seen me come out. There used to be a security camera on this street... used to be.

I walked five blocks uptown and put on my mask in the forest that lead to the Batcave, no use in dressing up. I jumped through the waterfall and casually sat down on one of the computer chairs, which of course, had bats on them.

"Glad you could make it."

"Glad we can have a conversation before the week was up."

"Didn't you have school or something?"

"Dude, I do day shift, does it seem like I go to school."

"Good point."

"Always is, but that's not the point. Why am I here, new lead?"