Chapter 24: Consequence

Nightwing managed to get Bruce out of there.
I wasn't so lucky.
Bane was the one who got me. He was too shocked to do anything at first, but when I tried to leave he snapped out of it and grabbed me. I didn't fight back.
I guess they didn't know what to do with me because they drove to Eddie's place and I was dumped in one of the Riddle rooms.
I wouldn't have minded solving it but it was off. So I was left with mirrored walls and a slot in the ceiling and nothing to do.
I didn't want to look at myself. I was fine now but there was still blood in my hair and on my clothes. I was sore all over but waited to take another pill. Best not to waste them.
I kept replaying what happened in my mind.
Bane's expression of shock and utter betrayal.
He didn't talk to me. Couldn't even look me in the eye. I felt sick.
Would the plan work of they killed me? I mean, things would continue as usual but how would Bane figure out how to use the marble. If he hadn't thrown it away.
I thought about Bruce and if he'd be okay. I thought about my mother and what she would've been like. I wondered if Rha would strike now and ruin everything.
Stupid tears streamed down my cheeks and I was forced to watch in the mirror.
What had happened to me? I am such a mess.
I could hear thumping coming from upstairs. What would they do to me? I did betray them. I kept this from them to actively work against them.
Bane would hate me. They all would.
I crawled out of my pity party when she stared at her hand. My fingers were twitching. I couldn't stop it no matter how hard she concentrate.
A grin grew on my lips. Let's see Rha fix this.
The door swung open, from a different position than it was in then when I was tossed in here. Riddler came through. He looked pained.
I didn't move. He came and crouched in front on me.
"Lilian..."
"Eddie."
"What were you trying to do?"
I sighed. "How's Bane?"
"He's not really talking to us. So I don't know."
I gave a pathetic excuse for a smile. "Bet you don't say that often."
He clicked his tongue. "Why would you do this?"
"I wanted to be good."
The ran his hand through his orange hair. "Then you chose the wrong people to be friends with." He paused. "Unless that was your plan."
"Its not like that. I wanted to make things different. Even you can be good."
"We're not like that."
I clenched my fists. "Yes you are. You can refuse the good in you, so can all of Gotham, but I won't. Nothing is completely evil or good. I mean, look at you. The Riddler, the evil man that terrorised Gotham with questions. But you're not all bad, are you?"
"You're seeing things in people that aren't there."
"No. I know about you. And I know that you know who Batman is. But you don't say anything, do you?"
"Because it takes all the fun out of it."
"Because you know its unfair. And people do bad things when you treat them unfairly. Like with what happened to you. Nobody cared about how amazingly clever you were."
"I still am." Eddie said with a sad smile. "But things aren't that simple."
"No, but neither are you. You're not anything that people say you are. Or anything that you say you are." I licked my lips and took a deep breath. "That's what I wanted to show people."
Eddie stood up and started to leave the room. I watched his reflection go.
"Does he hate me?"
Eddie paused. "I don't think he could if he wanted to."
My hand flew to my mouth. Why was I such a wimp?
"Thank you."
Eddie turned and left the room. And I was left with my reflection.

********************************************************

"Well there goes that plan."
Selina glared at him. "Then what do you suggest, Joker? We kill her?"
"We need to get Batsy out of the way before we can go on."
"There's another way to do that. What about Nightwing?"
"Oh please." Joker waved her off. "He's hiding in a cave somewhere."
Bane didn't say anything. He was sitting on the couch, playing with the marble in his hands.
"Don't you think they'll try get Lily back?"
Eddie walked in, rubbing his face. "I don't think so. It didn't work last time and now they won't know where we are."
Bane looked up at him.
"What did she say?"
Eddie slumped down next to him. "She asked about you." He looked up at the ceiling. "I think she was trying to help us."
Joker rolled his eyes. "I'm sure she was. Becoming "pals" with the Bat and sabotaging us at every turn."
"We all knew she didn't want us to do this." Eddie defended.
Selina pinched the bridge of her nose. "She didn't have to do all that. We almost killed her!"
"That's not the worst of it." Eddie said. "She left something on my computer."
"Oh it doesn't matter." Joker said. "Look, if Batsy is in as bad shape as we think he is, we don't need another distraction. I say we finish the setup and move on with the plan."
"And what are you planning to do once everything's destroyed?" Eddie snapped.
"Then we get to have some fun. With everyone becoming just as crazy as us... The possibilities are endless."
"You can do that part without me. Once this is done, I'm gone. Nobody here will be worth the trouble anymore." Eddie looked at Bane. "And you'll get what you want. Everyone will know how.. pathetic.. Gotham is and finally understand what these people are like."
Bane let the marble settle in his palm.
"Bane." Selina said. "We need to decide what to do from here."
Bane didn't move. Eddie started at him.
Eventually Bane looked up but didn't meet anyone's eyes. "We go on as planned."
"And Lily?"

********************************************************

I didn't want to take my pill.
It was strange seeing how fast the disease worked without medicine trying to stop it. I could taste blood in the back of my throat. I wondered if I would feel my organs give up. As if my brain would tell them that it wasn't worth trying anymore.
How long would it take to die if I stopped taking the pills now? Hours? Not an entire day, that I knew.
The door opened again and I stiffened.
Bane closed the door behind him.
This time I didn't move because I couldn't.
He walked in a few steps then stopped. My neck hurt when I turned to look at him.
His face was expressionless. I remember meeting him like this. Except he was the one who was broken.
"I wanted to help you." My voice was softer than I'd thought it'd be.
He didn't reply.
"I need to do this. You won't understand but I do. I wasn't trying to trick you. Or any of you. You're all so amazing. I don't understand why other people don't see that."
I was crying again. I couldn't stop.
"I planned to meet you but... You became a father to me. I can tell you things that I'd never tell anyone. You know me better than anyone, even if you think you don't. I'm sorry. I'm sorry about everything. But I'm not sorry I lied. I won't apologise for changing my mind and deciding to help people."
He just looked at me. Stony faced. Somehow it made things worse. I sniffed, trying to calm down.
I really needed him to forgive me.
My chest hurt. It wasn't from the disease.
"I just wanted things to be different."
Bane looked at me for the longest time. Neither of us said anything. He was just across the room but felt halfway across the word. Eventually he looked down at his clenched fist and shook his head.
"No. You wanted me to be different."
He crouched down and placed my marble on the floor.
"Goodbye, young one."
The marble turned a darker shade of blue when Bane turned and left the room.
The sound of silence was deafening.