Chapter 3

Joven

"Joven, we know it's your wedding day, and it gives us no joy to take you from your wife's side," said Charles, still wearing the ceremonial robes from the Wedding Ceremony.

"Charles is right, Joven, but what you did, well, it's just never been done before, and that's not a good thing," says Peggy.

"She entered the Mist of her own accord, and no one can disagree with the ceremonies conclusion. Sure, she may have missed the interviews and background checks or even the personal references. But I can assure all of you, she's the best woman for me. Can you not feel it? Did you not see the mist-filled explosion at the end of our wedding ceremony?" I try my best to put the council members minds at ease in a hurry, because I've been away from Pann way too long.

Peggy starts back in on me again, "We have laws and traditions for a reason, Joven, surely you see this? You've been raised in the Mist; you took the oath before entering the position of Head Council Chairperson. You set the example for all Dewbies. YOU are held to the highest standard," and now her finger is pointing into my chest. "Is it fair? Well, no, but it's the way of our people," Henry says, staying united with the other three members. I turn to Grace, knowing there can be no end to this discussion until all four chairpersons have spoken.

"What if this gets out Joven? What if more traditions are broken? We need to meet and decide what happens next. The repercussions could be severe. The ancient tablets must be examined again, and possible punishment invoked," Grace says with a finality that has the three other members nodding in agreement.

"Punishment? Seriously, you are going to do this on my wedding night?" I look at all four of them, and realize none of them are willing to budge on this subject. So, I try a more diplomatic approach. "Okay, I agree things need to be discussed. But does it need to be tonight? I'm a newly married man, and today is my birthday. Can we just put this to rest, until I can at least settle my wife into her new life?" My eyes are pleading for them to understand, and I'm not above begging. I handed over my man-card, when I left Pann at the Reflection Room earlier today and realized her life is more important than mine. If she had truly wanted to leave, I would have let her go. But she didn't and I'd really, really, like to go back and start kissing her more. I take turns staring at each of them, mentally daring them to disagree. Charles, the oldest, is the first to break.

"Fine, Joven, we understand. We were all newlyweds at one time. But remember this, your disregard for the traditions and rules will be discussed, in length. Go! "Practice" kissing with your wife!" This has all four of them laughing at me, but determined to not waste any more time, my steps are quick to turn and retreat. She's still on the bridge where I left her. Ugh! Lame move Joven. Where's Heif? Where's my wingman?

"Hey son," my dad says coming up behind me, "you got a minute," he asks. But I know it's more of a statement than a question. Having no other option, I stop and face my father, the man trying to jump on my last nerve. He's on that nerve, like it's a trampoline and he's going for a new world record.

"Sure Dad; but quickly. I've got a wife to sweep off her feet," I say smiling like a goofball.

"Mom and I were talking, are you sure you want to take her home tonight?" he asks. What in the world is going on? NOBODY wants me to have my wife— alone. First, Heif almost refused to assist me last night, then the council members drag me away, and now my parents are trying to sabotage my wedding night. Hold it in Joven! Breathing deeply, in and out, in and out.

"WHY would you suggest such a thing Dad?" Giving him a look, I'm not sure he's ever seen before. The look that says, "someone's life better be in danger or else." He's given me that look dozens of times over the years, but this time it's my turn to give the look to him.