chapter 15

"here you are" darry says and places the plate of food in front of me.

"thanks" i mumble as i stare at the plate.

i twirled my fork around the eggs until i brought up the courage to bring the food to my lips. when i swallowed i forgot how hungry i was and devoured the whole plate. a feeling of guilt washed over me but i just brushed it off.

i walked over to the sink and washed my plate and put it back in the cabinet.

"ill take the couch tonight." i tell soda who was sitting next to me.

"alright. good night El." he yawns and walks up the stairs.

"good night soda." i wave and then rub my tired eyes.

then i laid down on the couch, and before i went to bed i wanted to thank Johnny but he was already fast asleep in the recliner.

********

i woke up on the recliner and rolled over to check the time.

6:22, the clock read. i stood up and looked down at my clothes.

"i really need to change" i thought.

i took a look into the kitchen and no one was there so i headed out the door.

i was going to the one place i dreaded the most; my house.

i didn't want to go, but i desperately needed a change of clothes and a shower.

i walked the empty streets until i ended up at the house sitting half in grease territory and half in soc territory.

i let out a deep sigh before walking onto the property.  i walk up the stone pathway leading to the house. i paused for a second before walking up the stairs and twisting the doorknob to let myself in.

"it's ok" i mumble to my self and keep my eyes glued to the floor.

i finally look up and memories flood through my head. i quickly turn around and grab the handle but i know that i need to do this. so i take a deep breath and turn around and head up the stairs.

when i entered my room, i went straight to my bathroom and turned on the shower. i then peeled off soda's white shirt which was now covered in dirt and blood, and took off my jean shorts.

when the shower was warm enough, i stepped in. the water stung my cuts but it also felt good to shower after so long. i took my coconut scented shampoo and massaged it into my scalp. after a minute i rinsed it out and took a thick clump of conditioner and rubbed it into the ends of my hair. i let it sit as washed off my body with my matching coconut body wash. then i rinsed out the conditioner and stepped out of the shower. i wrapped myself in a white towel and walked out of the bathroom to the dresser in my bedroom.

i picked out a clean pair of clothes- red shorts and a black cropped shirt with one of my favorite bands on it, The Beatles.

after i got changed i went back into my bathroom to do my hair. i brushed my long light brown hair until all the tangles were out. I was trying to decide wether to keep my hair down or to french braid it but i ended up keeping it down. lastly i put on my black converse and headed for the door.

i almost forgot my switchblade so i ran upstairs to get it but before i could reach my bedroom there was a knock at the door.

i wasn't expecting any company so i was a little suspicious to why someone was knocking at my door. i slowly walked down the stairs and looked through the window.

the police

"what are they doing at my house?!" i think.

i keep myself composed and answer the door.