Season 4 - Part 22: Christmas dinner

Diana and her mother arrived at Jerry's house. Mrs. Barry already met Jerry's family, the moment she found Diana dancing around with them. When Jerry's dad saw them coming he greeted them happily. "Merry Christmas ladies!" Diana greeted him back enthousiastically and her mother greeted politely. The two went in and laid the food out on the table.

The Baynards were happier than ever. It was a long time ago that they had had such delicious food.
They thanked Diana and Mrs. Barry a thousand times and insisted on playing a nice song for them.

Everybody except the uncomfortable mrs. Barry started dancing and sing together.
Diana had a brutal flow in her eyes as she danced arm in arm with Jerry. She knew her mother was watching but she didn't care. Jerry looked at her with a hopefull fire in his eyes. "Diana, how can I thank you. You are amazing." Diana laughed. "Merry Christmas, Jerry."

Mrs. Barry's mouth opened when she saw what Diana did after. She bent over and gave Jerry a gentle kiss on his lips. It was a fast one, but enough for mrs. Barry to excuse herself and took her child outside. Jerry watched them go with a proud smile on his face.

"Diana! Have you lost your mind? He's a farm boy, for Gods sake!" Diana looked at her mother with fierce eyes. "I don't care mother! I love him!" Diana looked at her daughter in full disgust. "No, I won't let you marry him! Diana think of your future, you wouldn't want to be poor would you?"

"Well rather poor than having a loveless marriage!"

Mrs. Barry looked very disappointed. "Well, because he saved your life I will allow you to talk to him, but I forbid you to court him!" Diana was relieved she could at least talk to him. Actually nothing had changed. Diana would keep on seeing Jerry in secret. She was sad that her mother was so strict but she had hopes for the future.

When everyone had returned to Green Gables, including the heavy blushing Anne and Gilbert, Christmas dinner took place. It was a wonderful evening. Everybody laughed and talked and the kitchen was completely full of people eating and toasting with eachother.

Everybody slowly left when the night was coming closer. Except for the Barry's, they were all getting ready for bed. Anne looked out of the window at the snowflakes that started to cover the already white fields of the landscape in front of her. "Snowflakes! How beautiful!" Anne warned Diana and both the girls were hanging out of the window catching snowflakes and laughing at eachother.

Then, all of the sudden, Anne let out a loud shreek. Diana looked up and saw Annes red hair covered in white. When she looked down she saw Gilbert standing there, with a huge grin on his face. "Ohhh I wil get you Gil!" Before Diana knew it Anne ran out of her room and into the snow. Diana followed, ignoring the shouting from Marilla and mrs. Barry that they had to went inside immediately.

There they stood, throwing snowballs at eachother in their nightwear. Except for Gilbert ofcourse. All of the sudden Marilla and Matthew ran outside to join the laughing trio and later Mr. and Mrs. Barry also joined. Minnie May was already sleeping, not hearing the great laughter as the snowballfight went on.

It was a Christmas to never forget, and it was a peaceful one. Every worry was gone and every fight was forgiven. Wasn't that what Christmas was for after all?