9. 𝕹𝖎𝖓𝖊

[So as you see that day I decided to draw Katheryne and yeah Happy 20k Reads to me yayyy]

- - - - -

Attack on Mondstadt. Attack on Mondstadt. The Abyss are planning an attack on Mondstadt. Tonight.

That was what Kaeya had heard when he'd finally managed enough strength to climb out of bed, change, and fast-walk out of his room.

"Jean," the first thing he did was slam open the doors to the Acting Grandmaster's office, cryo vision hanging on his belt, sword sheathed
beside him.

"...organise the Knights, calm them and have them prepared to fight if—" the blonde was talking to some other Knights, Eula and Amber, Kaeya recognised some.

She stopped mid-sentence and whirled to Kaeya. "Oh Kaeya thank god you're fine—" she examined him from head to toe, marked his weary eyes and the way he leaned on the door frame slightly.

"You're still sick! Go back to bed!" Jean frowned.

"I can help—" Kaeya retorted, standing straight, "I feel perfectly fine." That was a lie, his head was still throbbing slightly, though not as bad as before now, and he'd barely recovered from the horrible nightmares. His right eye has begun acting up again, itching under the eyepatch, but Kaeya resisted the urge to remove the uncomfortable eyepatch.

"No— you, go back to your room and rest, I will handle this," Jean turned to Amber and Eula and the other Knights in the room, each movement hurried. She waved them off to do whatever they were assigned, then snatched her Favonius sword from the table and headed out, anemo vision jiggling on her belt.

"Kaeya, you need rest. Go back to your room. I swear— if I see you on the battlefield, you will never see the end of me." Jean said as she passed by him at the door.

I'm fine, I can help, he wanted to say. But she had already jogged out of sight, and Kaeya was alone, gripping his sheaved sword in one hand.

- - - - -

Why such a sudden attack? Diluc thought as he rushed back to the winery, snatching his mask and cloak before heading out. But he had no time for thoughts— saving Mondstadt was his priority right now.

For a moment his thoughts flashed to Kaeya. I hope he stays put in the Knights Headquarters. But knowing the Cavalry Captain, Kaeya would probably find some way to help. Diluc could only pray that he was safe.

Why am I thinking about that infuriating— Diluc shook his head and cleared his thoughts.

Knights of Favonius were making announcements for the citizens to return to their homes immediately. Mondstadt's stone walls were high and sturdy, and there was little possibility for the enemies to get in, but they still couldn't take the risk for the citizens to get hurt.

Everywhere shops were closing, people were running around in panic— taverns were cleared, empty of the usual patrons.

Diluc slipped through the streets, hiding in shadows and covering his fiery red hair with the hood from his cloak. He arrived at Mondstadt's gates much sooner than the Knights did, and already there were several groups of hilichurls, led by Abyss Mages, camped around the city and dancing to bonfires.

But those weren't what he— and the Knights— were worried about. These were just small pawns, unable to cause much damage, but...

There, walking in neat lines, were Abyss Heralds and Abyss Lectors, claws wreathed in hydro and electro power.

They would be an utter pain to deal with, Diluc tightened his grip on his claymore, and sparks of flame flew from it. Diluc hoped he had enough in him to take care of the Abyss and minimise the danger the Knights might take. And the lives that might be lost in the fight, Diluc thought to himself.