3. 𝕿𝖍𝖗𝖊𝖊

He looked just like he remembered.

His light blonde hair was straight and shoulder-length, his eyes an artic blue. He was tall and broad-shouldered and absolutely handsome in his dark blue-grey attire. His cape was a landscape of the deep blue night sky and soft, twinkling stars.

Kaeya noticed the eyepatch he wore on his right eye, and his covered arms and hands. Remembered what lay underneath them. Remembered how Dainsleif had never told him about his strange powers and marks.

"Well? Aren't you going to ask why I'm here?" He asked, arms crossed.

"Why don't you tell me yourself... Dainsleif?" Kaeya leaned against a tree, feigning casualness. Even as a thousand, no, a million thoughts sped through his mind.

Kaeya's brain was hopelessly split into two. One logical and thinking and whirring. The other yelling the same word at Kaeya, over and over:

Dainsleif. Dainsleif. Dainsleif. Dainsleif. It's fucking Dainsleif. KAEYA YOU MOTHERFUCKER ITS DAINSLEIF—

Kaeya was glad to shut out that brain cell and listen to the other.

Why is he in Mond? Why is he here? Did the King send him? Why this and why that and why why—

Kaeya ran a hand through his hair in annoyance, and frustration. Dainsleif was before him. Right here, right now, and that itself was some miracle. That Dainsleif would be allowed or sent to meet him... was definitely some miracle. There had been no news from Khaenri'ah or it's king so far as Kaeya had been in Mond. Why would there, suddenly, be news?

Dainsleif chuckled, "15 years (IDK WHATEVER), and that's how you call me? Dainsleif? How... disappointing."

"..." Kaeya stayed silent. Tell me or leave it.

"Haha..." Dainsleif said as if reading his mind. The faint smile vanished as his face turned serious, "am I not allowed to visit an old friend?" He gave Kaeya a pointed look. Visiting you, he was saying.

Kaeya was highly doubtful that was his sole reason. Dainsleif was dead loyal to Khaenri'ah, and would lie to anyone to achieve what he wanted. Or what Khaenri'ah's mysterious King wanted.

Kaeya forced a smile, "well, then, Dainsleif. Have a great time with your... friend." Kaeya knew for a fact Dainsleif meant him, but he wasn't about to give Dainsleif any heart-warming welcomes or an invite to Mond.

"I'll be staying at Mond for the week or so." Dainsleif said pointedly.

"Sure. Enjoy yourself. If you don't mind, I'm leaving now." Kaeya turned, strolled down the road, and prayed that Dainsleif didn't follow him. Because one more second with that guy, and Kaeya was pretty sure his mind would burst.

"So cold, did something happen with your Master Diluc, Kae?" Dainsleif taunted from behind him.

Kaeya clenched his fists. At the taunt, and the old nickname. Control. Control. Control. Common sense yelled at him.

So Kaeya unclenched his fists, ignored Dainsleif, and started into a leisurely stroll back to Mond.

He told himself that he didn't care. That Dainsleif was merely being a dick, taunting him. That Dainsleif wouldn't know what Diluc meant to Kaeya. That it was just an off-handed comment from Dainsleif.

But even as he arrived at Mond and collapsed in his bed, clothes unchanged, Kaeya found himself repeating over and over again.