Chapter 18

That's Shane -dat red head is a cutie-

"Your brother is just the cutest thing." Shane's mom gushed while I was being shown around the house.
She kept talking and talking, I felt a bit awkward. Like she thought Shane and I were involved and she was meeting her future daughter in law. No thanks.

"Yeah Jake, he's a riot." I chuckle and she shakes her head.

She lightly touches my arm, "By the way you can call me Amy." She says and smiles at me and Shane. "Alright Shane, you and Christine can go do your thing! I will be here." Shane sighs and he walks to a door leading to the basement. I follow him down and see a huge couch and a carpet ball table.

"Well, tell me Christine. Why did you stand up the big shot Luke Hemmings to come to my house? What's wrong?" I try to make it look like I was totally appalled that he assumed something was wrong. I gasp and breathe out loudly, and plop on the couch, putting my hands on my face. I'm just going to come out and say it.

"Ok, you know when I told you I didn't go to that party?" I didn't give him any time to respond, but just to quickly shake his head, "Well I went. There. I'm a liar. A big fat liar who went to the party, drank liquor, and grinded on Austin Davis!" I steamed, and Shane's mouth dropped.

He licked his braces, "Um so what does this have to do with Luke-"

I dove back into my story and took a deep breath before nearly rapping the rest, "Austin attacked me, I locked myself in his bathroom, called Luke and he came and saved me. He punched Austin in the face, cleaned the word 'slut' off of my car, then we went to my house and we were alone then-then-"

Shane's eyes got big, "Oh my gosh! You and Luke did it?!" He practically screamed and was frantic.

I was confused, "What? What do you mean?"

Shane said in a quiet whisper, "You guys had sex?!"

I threw my hands up, "No! No! Gosh no!" I couldn't help but laugh.

"Then what's the big deal here?"

"Let me finish. Ok Luke and I sat and talked for hours, it was amazing. He was broken up with Chelsea at this point... Alright then later that weekend he came back to my house and I tutored him, he played the guitar to me and we shared a moment, I am pretty sure." I took a gasp of air, "Then he suddenly had to leave and to be honest, then and there I had major feelings for him, then he hustled away. Which was strange but I didn't think much of it." All of a sudden I felt tears in my eyes, "Then then at school the next day I saw him, with Chelsea and, he ignored me. I-" that's when I lost it, I sobbed. Shane scootched next to me and patted my back. I laughed through tears, "I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm crying."

I looked up at Shane and he shrugged, "You like him Christine, admit it."

I swallowed, "No I don't. I just, I don't know Shane I am so conflicted with everything."

After a while Shane said, "You know what? I bet Luke is just as conflicted as you are."

I looked up, "Why do you say that?"

He crossed his legs, "Luke and Chelsea have always been a thing. They break up all the time. Then a fresh new beautiful girl catches his eye, how could he not be conflicted?"

I grin and wipe my tears. "Thanks Shane. You really think so?"

"No," he clears his throat. "I know so."