chapter four

after their unsuccessful visit at the coast guard, the pogues took it upon themselves to go to the motel to do more digging to find out whose boat went down.

"i thought the château looked bad." jj said, whistling lowly. "this place is a shitshow." john b said with a disgusted tone in his voice.

"motel or meth lab?" kie questioned. "you be the judge." pope replied. rosie looked to the other pogues, "see, this is what i imagine the inside of rafe cameron's head to look like. gross personality, fatal drugs and all." each pogue hummed in agreement.

"doesn't look like the typa place somebody with a grady-white stays." john b said with pope nodding along. "no. looks like a place someone with a grady-white would get killed." pope said, morbidly.

"alright, here we go."

"this is your captain speaking. hms pogue comin' in for landing." jj said, sounding like he was talking through a walkie talkie. "whoo!" jj jumped off the boat with the anchor in his hands, setting it down on the grass. john b and rosie started walking towards jj before pope stopped rosie, "hey. don't let them do anything stupid." rosie chuckled, "no promises, but i'll try my best to babysit them. you know i'm an A-list babysitter."

jj quickly disagreed, "no, we'll for sure do something stupid. full guarantee. no matter rosie's expertise. sorry not sorry, pope. bye!"

"be careful." kie said seriously, handing the motel key to john b, ".. i mean it." john b looked taken back for a moment, unsure of how to respond but chuckled quietly, "yeah."

jj looked between john b and kie suspiciously before looking at rosie who mirrored his expression. 'what was that?' he mouthed, rosie mouthing back, 'no idea' with a shrug. "jj, rosie b. let's go."

"why are all these mattresses out here?" john b questioned. "after a hurricane, they ditch 'em cause they're all moldy."

once the three teens were on the right floor, jj and john b walked slowly behind rosie. suddenly, jj grabbed onto john b shoulders, then lightly grabbed his chin. "just be so careful, john b." the brunette groaned, pushing jj off him, "god, you're so weird."

"what the heck was that about?" jj asked. "i don't know. maybe she wants us to be careful." john b said, stating the obvious. however, jj persisted. "ever since she heard you're being threatened with exile, she's just been, like, 'oh! be so careful, john b. oh, just give me that john d already.' when are you gonna swoop on that, man?" jj asked, rubbing john b's shoulders for a moment before he pushed the blonde boy off. "bro, you know the rule. no pogue-on-pogue macking." john b said, causing rosie to mutter "it's a stupid fucking rule," under her breath.

"besides, you're the one always hitting on rosie." jj gave john b a 'duh' look, "dude, of course i'm hitting on her. have you seen her? she's a super hot, hippie chick, who is also the sweetest but most sarcastic person at the same time. she's practically perfect." jj said, trying to talk quieter so rosie, who was a few feet ahead, wouldn't hear. fortunately for rosie, she heard all of it, a smile gracing her lips.

john b fake gagged. "you're gross, jj, she's practically my sister. you need help. not like a little bit of help, you need a lot of help." jj shrugged, "what? i'm just stating facts."

from a few feet away, rosie stopped in front of a door, "alright, dumb and dumber! this is us." she called out to them, pointing her thumb towards room 29.

jj walked up and knocked on the door. "housekeeping!" he said in a high-pitched voice, causing rosie to giggle. jj looked over to her momentarily, smiling at the fact that he made her laugh. when no one answered, rosie put the key in the lock, looking up to jj and then john b. "should we try it?"
both boys nodded yes. "no power. no security cameras. no one's gonna know." rosie nodded her head twice, "perfect. let's go, suckers," she said as she unlocked the door. when the door opened, they all stood still for a moment. "huh. i don't know what i was expecting... but this was not it. i was hoping to find something expensive the moment we walked in, like a diamond rolex or something like that..." rosie commented on the appearance of the room.