chapter thirty-five

rosie had made it her mission to wake up extra early today. pope had his scholarship interview in only a few hours, and rosie knew he would be up by now, getting some additional prep in. making sure not to awake jj, she slowly got out of bed, changing into a small outfit that wouldn't drown her in the hot weather. the freckled-girl wrote a quick note to jj, telling him to meet her at the château, then climbing out of her window.

once rosie reached pope's house, she scurried up the front steps and knocked on the door. waiting for the door to be answered, she wiped her hands on her shorts and looked up and down the street at the people who were already ready for the day. a quiet thud and creak of the door brought her out of her trance, finding heyward right in front of her. "hi, heyward."

he gave her a tired smile, opening the door wider to welcome her in, "morning, rosie. you're up early. who woulda thought?" rosie dropped her jaw dramatically as she stepped inside, "wow. so little faith you have... i'm assuming pope's already up?" heyward nodded, "yep. should be in his room, you can go up and knock."

rosie nodded, "thanks." she walked up to his room, passing his mom on the way and giving her greetings as well. rosie knocked on his door lightly, "pope? it's rosie."

the door swung open suddenly, making rosie widen her eyes in surprise. "i'm nervous," pope said breathlessly, an untied tie hanging around his neck. he was clearly in the process of getting ready, only having his dress pants and a white wife beater tank top on. she chuckled softly, "i can help with interview questions if you want while you finish getting ready."

pope nodded excessively. "perfect," rosie said, sitting on his bed behind him as he went to stand in front of the mirror.

"okay, what are some of your strengths?" rosie asked, trying to sound like a university interviewer. pope gulped inaudibly, "i'd say one of my biggest strengths is the ability to dissect a situation so i can approach it reasonably. which has been very beneficial to me when i'm partaking in a collaborative activity–" pope said, continuing on but letting rosie really listen to his answers so she could give her input.

fifteen minutes later, heyward called to the two teens letting them know it was time to drive pope to the interview. "rosie, would you like to come with me to drop pope off?" heyward asked, pointing to his truck. rosie looked at heyward, then at pope, seeing if it was okay with him, to which pope nodded and smiled softly. "yea, i'd love to."

upon arriving at the law office, all three got out of the truck. rosie held her arms out for pope, giving him a tight hug and softly rubbing circles on his back. "good luck, pope. you got this. you're gonna be great. you're super, super smart," rosie started, slightly pulling away from the hug. "i mean like, without you, we wouldn't have found the gold," she whispered, tapping her temple. pope chuckled nervously, "i guess so."

rosie smiled, stepping away from the heyward's, "you got this. love you pope... bye heyward!" she looked at both pogues, waving goodbye so they would have their father-son moment.

turning down the street to commence her walk to the château, rosie heard a honk beside her. looking over, she saw the familiar heyward truck. he rolled down the window, "you're on your way to the château, right? i'll give you a ride. hop in."

once rosie shut the door, she spoke up, "you don't have to drive me all the way. i know you have work to do." the doe-eyed man chuckled, "kid, thank god. i don't have enough time to drive all the way.. half way i can do... but, i just wanted to thank you."

rosie raised her brow, "for what?"

"you're a good friend. pope is lucky to have you. you've been the most supportive with his scholarship, and i know he appreciates it a lot," heyward explained slowly. the strings of rosie's heart tugged in a directional motion, like a harpist trailing their fingers across the strings, creating a melodious sound. rosie hummed, unsure how to answer and take the compliment. "thank you. pope is a really good and intelligent person, i'm lucky to have him as a friend."