chapter five

"okay. so, um.. we didn't see anything. we don't know anything. we need to have total and complete amnesia." pope ranted, worrying about the predicament the pogues found themselves in. rosie nodded along, barely awake; she had easily decided that she was okay with drifting off to sleep. after all, the pogues had filled her in on who owned the infamous grady-white.

"actually, pope's right for once. see, i agree with you sometimes. deny, deny, deny." jj explained, backing up pope but adding his own twist. "guys, we can't keep that money." kie argued.

jj rolled his eyes, "okay. not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, kiara."

ignoring jj's comment, kie came up with another idea. "we have to pass that off to lana grubbs. otherwise, it's bad karma." pope nodded along, "bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too. we gotta go dark."

"if that means we get to keep the money, then i agree." jj said, stopping beside john b to look outside. "i don't agree." john b finally spoke up, walking away from jj. "what? why?"

"just think about it. this is scooter grubbs we're talking about, right? same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the porthole. shit, one time i saw this dude begging for change in the save-a-lot parking lot because he needed gas. we're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket, and all of a sudden, he's got a grady-white? ...just sayin'." john b said, his argument making lots of sense.

"okay, well... rosie? what do you think?" kie asked. rosie opened one eye, seeing the pogues looking at her intently. "huh? oh. um, i'm not picking a side. i'm switzerland in this equation." rosie said, pausing for a moment, "or. why don't we give it to charity or something. that way, none of us get it. and it wouldn't be bad karma if we're giving it to a charity because technically that's called giving back to the community."

jj rolled eyes, "ugh. you and your good morals. gross."

⤛ ∴ ∗ ∵☾  ❀  ☽ ∵ ∗ ∴ ⤜

"alright, so think about it, pope. how does a marina rat get a grady-white?" john b asked as pope threw his fishing line and bait into the water.

rosie spoke out quickly before pope got the chance, "a sugar daddy!" pope gave her a questioning look and one to jj as he covered his laugh with a fake cough. "...sugar momma?" pope shook his head and finally answered john b's question, "prostitution."

"damn, his answer was so much better than mine." rosie whispered, before shaking her head slightly, turning and resting her head on jj's shoulder.

"aw, rosie, i found it funny." jj whispered back, causing the brunette to smile up at him. "thanks, jay. you've always been my biggest fan." she said, placing her hand on her chest and wiping her index finger under each eye.

"square groupers, bro. okay. flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance. they don't do that stuff during a hurricane... what does that mean? ...jj?" john b said, using lots of hand gestures to further his point. "they were straight smugglin'." john b nodded, "smugglin'... and i guarantee there's a serious amount of contraband on that wreck." rosie smiled victoriously, "hell yea." 

⤛ ∴ ∗ ∵☾  ❀  ☽ ∵ ∗ ∴ ⤜

"for the record, if that is a smuggling ship with illegal contraband on the inside of it, it probably belongs to someone else." pope explained, desperately trying to persuade his friends out of doing something stupid. rosie tilted her head from side to side as he spoke, "yea, well.. minor details, pope." the dark-skinned boy shook his head at rosie, "no, they could come looking for it... taking it would be... catastrophically stupid."