chapter twelve

"oh my god." kie mumbled, causing rosie to peek into the mausoleum, "what? what's 'oh my god'?" a faint crinkling sound was heard before kie stuck her arm out, handing a small package to john b.

"thaaat's not gold." pope said, earning a sarcastic remark from rosie, "happy to know your eyes and brain function still work, pope." the dark-skinned boy looked at rosie with a slightly exasperated look. "okay. okay, i'm sorry. i'll try to hold back.... what's in the package, johnny b?" rosie asked, looking over john b's shoulder and blindly holding out her hand for kie to take as she climbed out.

"holy shit. this is from my dad." john b said, his eyes full of hope and realization as he looked at rosie, then kiara.

"code red. code red. square groupers! square groupers! go!" jj panicked, putting his hand on rosie's lower back to guide her behind a random mausoleum so they could hide. "it's the guys who robbed your house." all the pogues rushed behind the tall stone building, hurrying to turn off their lights.

"light!"

rosie turned to jj, turning his head light off as he put out his joint. "john b, your light!"

"okay, i know you said no sarcasm but come on! john b just stuck his stupid lantern thing under his thin-ass shirt! it's like he wants to hear what i have to say." pope and kiara quickly turned to rosie, telling her to shut up before she would accidentally blow their cover.

"i see something!" one of the 'square groupers' yelled in the distance. "do you think it's them?" kie asked as jj peeked from behind the wall.
"i mean, probably not. how would they even know we're here? they don't seem like the brightest peopl–" rosie started to say, but was interrupted by jj. "homie's got a gun."

"screw this," kiara said, deciding to get up from the hiding spot and run. the pogues could hear the men calling after them as they ran, but ignored them and continued on their way to the van. "hurry up!" jj yelled as each teenager tried their best to get over the fence.

"guys! guys! guys, i'm stuck," pope rushed out, calling to the pogues. kiara and john b hurried to pope, hoping to help him. "hi, i'm also stuck..." rosie said awkwardly, slightly embarrassed as she turned her head to see her friends. jj turned to look at rosie, letting out a loud laugh at her predicament. "you suck, jj. but please help."

the blonde boy jogged over, "don't worry, rosie. i'll fix your shorts. lean on my shoulder a little and i'll help you down." rosie let her weight fall very slightly as jj hooked his fingers underneath the bottom of her short shorts causing her breath to hitch faintly and a shiver to go down her spine. "any higher and i'll kick you so hard," rosie warned, which only made jj laugh.

"you make it so tempting, ma fleur. but here, i got it." jj pulled on the fabric, stretching it a little bit so it could pull over the top of the fence. "there you go. come on." rosie let her weight fall on jj as he helped her to the ground. the freckled girl kissed his cheek softly, "thank you. we really gotta go."

the two teens turned to the other pogues, immediately laughing out loud at what they saw; pope in his white underwear, his ripped shorts hanging from the fence. "nice! come on, dude. it's a little tootsie roll." jj joked, the five pogues running to get in the van.

  ⤛ ∴ ∗ ∵☾  ❀  ☽ ∵ ∗ ∴ ⤜

back at the château, the pogues gathered around the table with the exception of jj, who decided to make a moldy peanut butter sandwich. "that bread had mold on it three days ago."

"i'll just pull off the bad parts. plus, mold is good for you. it's just a natural organism." jj shrugged. "uhh... that's not really how it works, jay."