chapter seventeen

john b sighed loudly as pope searched through the shipwreck, "it's not there. look, just– just pull the drone up.... shit." the thunder continued to crash loudly, the gloomy sky was truly the perfect representation of how the pogues were feeling. hopeless, disappointed, pessimistic; you name it.

"look, we can do another pass. recharge the battery. we can– we can go back down," pope exclaimed, trying to stay optimistic.

"we've done it three times. there's nothing there," jj said, being realistic. rosie didn't want to be the one to say it but their odds weren't looking too good right now. "shut up!"
"what? it's true!" jj and kiara yelled at each other, rosie looking at the ground and squeezing her eyes shut for a moment.

"the gold could be buried. we don't know," kie persisted. rosie looked at john b's angry expression, then to kie, "if it was buried, which is definitely plausible... it would've been found on the metal detector." rosie commented calmly, trying to keep the others calm as well by not yelling. rosie walked over to jj, tired of standing in front of the drone.

"somebody beat us to it," john b said.

"or it was never there," jj mumbled, not noticing rosie presence yet. she stopped suddenly, "wait. that's so true. what if we're missing part of the story? i mean, we don't really know that much except that it's a shipwreck, obviously. there could be missing documents, and whatnot. you never know." rosie theorized, as she sat beside jj, who flinched right when she spoke.

"jeez! you scared me." rosie giggled, leaning her head on his shoulder, "sorry."

⤛ ∴ ∗ ∵☾ ❀ ☽ ∵ ∗ ∴ ⤜

after their lack of success with the royal merchant, rosie decided to give john b some space. even though finding the gold meant a lot to each of the pogues, it was hitting john b the hardest; as it was obvious, how badly he wanted to finish what his father started and follow in his footsteps of clues to find the gold. finding the gold was like earning a gold medal and dedicating it to a late loved one. rosie understood that john b would likely feel more connected to his dad if he found the gold and that's why she wanted to let him spend some time by himself before she went back to the château.

jj and rosie sat in jj's backyard, doing everything and nothing to pass the time before rosie had to be at heyward's. she liked to help out and she liked the comforting atmosphere, so she promised she would be there to help pope out with his shift. jj sat across from her, loading up the gun and going through all the right procedures to make sure it was working. rosie really had no idea how to use a gun but she enjoyed the view in front of her.

"i just had a really good idea," rosie spoke up, breaking the silence but not knowing where she was going with her idea. "what?" jj asked, not really paying attention, keeping his gaze on the gun and wiping it with his shirt.

"we should make a sex tape," rosie said, trying her best to keep a straight face but jj was too distracted to see the quiver of her lips from struggling not to laugh. all she really wanted was to see was jj's reaction. he looked up in record speed, eyes wide. "what?"

"yeah. like imagine how much money we would make if we weren't minors. with your abs and face and my— well, me. we would be raking in so much cash," she continued, squinting up at the sky and then jj, whose face was frozen in shock. as he listened to her words his mind was bombarded with the thought of them in different positions and situations until he managed to stutter out, "a– are you serious right now?" rosie moved closer, tracing his cheekbone before holding her head in her hands. "what? you don't like the idea?"

jj shook his head aggressively, "no, no, no. it's not that. i'm just– what the fuck? where is this coming from? i don't think you're being serious right now." rosie smiled brightly, "i just love making you nervous. and i have succeeded once again. jj– zero. rosie– much more than one. possibly one million, at this point."