chapter fifteen

once rosie cleaned herself up, changed into a long sleeve shirt and heard her mother snoring outside her door, she decided she would sneak out and meet the pogues at john b's. she quietly opened her window and climbed out, walking to john b's.

"rosie! hey! what took you so long?" jj called out to rosie as she walked down the dock. "sorry! i was cleaning the house a bit and lost track of time!"

jj pulled on her hand, so she could stand beside him and pope as he set up the drone... stuff. "you guys waited for me?" a chorus of various different confirmations to rosie's question were heard shortly after.

once pope got everything ready, kie and john b jumped in the water. "come on, rosie b! get in the water." rosie laughed before shifting awkwardly, thinking of a lame excuse. "maybe next time. i'm too lazy right now."

jj looked at rosie with slight suspicion, noticing her unusual hostile demeanour, but choosing to question her about what happened later. he noted her long sleeve shirt and her rejection to swimming (something she never rejected), thinking it was odd.

jj, pope and rosie all watched john b and kie swim around in the water, testing the drone in the process. "what's this right here?" jj asked, going to touch a random button.
"don't touch that. i'm trying to work out this thing." pope said, slapping jj's hand away making rosie giggle.

"god bless geeks, pope. truly, man. what would we do without you to control the drones?" jj asked rhetorically. "probably die," rosie sighed dramatically, sitting down to let her legs dangle off the dock.
"also, technically it's not a drone. it's an ROV." pope corrected. "shut up. shut up. it's too early for that right now."

"hey look, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim," john said, informing the others of his plan. "it's such bullshit. why do we have to do that?" jj asked.

"well, maritime salvage law is a thing," rosie pointed out. jj looked at her with an expression telling her to explain, pope beating her to her explanation. "you can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up."

rosie nodded along, "yeah, it's annoying but it's understandable."

"okay, but lawyers aren't cheap, bro."

"as soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp," john b stated. "how do you know all of that?" kie asked in awe. "cause my dad said it, like, a million times."

"yeah that's fair."

"the tether is, like, really long. in the wrong weather, it could get pushed around," pope said. "then we'll go at dead calm," john b reasoned as all the pogues looked at the sky, seeing and hearing the thunder rumble. "slack tide?"

"so now, we just gotta wait around for the right weather... and today is not that day."

"eh, i'm good with that. means more time for me to sleep," rosie commented, helping kiara up from the ladder.

⤛ ∴ ∗ ∵☾ ❀ ☽ ∵ ∗ ∴ ⤜

"you boys– and girl, get these groceries over to figure eight. get straight back here when you're done. no fishin'," heyward instructed, handing the three teens some grocery bags. "i promised delivery by this afternoon. rich folks don't wanna wait for you lazy sons of– oh, jj, rosie, thank you– sons of bitches," heyward finished, thanking jj and rosie as they held out their hands to take some of the groceries.

"right. no problem, heyward," rosie smiled, getting the last bag and putting it with the others.

"doesn't even look like the storm hit there," pope complained as they passed by huge kook houses. "that's because they got generators, bro. get used to it. and then they say the juice will be out all summer at the cut."